Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, "missing or "gone missing"

This is driving me crazy.

My wrench is "missing". That's the way it's been as long as I've been speaking English.

Recently people have started saying "gone missing", even newscasters.

As someone said "Could we, like, pass a law in the U.S. against using British expressions?"

Anyone here participating in this nonsense?

Well, globalization is a fact..... just one more facet of it.

More and more foreign expressions get into english. Even English ones.

Do the British expressions cause bad feng shue?

Or do they lead to bad karma?

Sounds like someone is going French on us..... language purity and all that.

The idea of eliminating British expressions from the "english" language has a peculiar piquancy.....

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 01-22-2006).]

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Give you another example; Why is a snowblower now called a snowthrower? Just bought a new 9hp, 2 stage that is called a snowthrower. Think it has to do with the word "BLOW". Must be some more of that politically correct bull****. Maybe someone reads sexual into that term BLOW? Well, they can ALL blow me, free of charge! Can't you just see that in a few years; your furnace breaks down, you ask for a new THROWER motor? What the hell happened to this country? IF you ask, you'll get me started, so don't ask!

------------------
      Dave da Slave , BFH

[This message has been edited by Millman (edited 01-22-2006).]

Comment

What the hells the difference... the important thing is did you find your wrench... or did that SOB that's gone missing take it? What drives me crazy is when I loose things in plain sight.
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Millman:
          Why is a snowblower now called a snowthrower?
          </font>
          Possibly because that is what it is.........

It picks the snow up and throws it.....

A snowblower would not touch the snow, but simply blow it away like those things the paving folks use to clear dust off before laying asphault.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

J, you missed the point, even though you are correct. Due to the speed it does actually blow it in various directions.

Comment

Maybe, Dr sets his 1 inch wrench down and could only find a 25.4mm wrench?

I think English will continue to "flatten" as we become less local in everthing we do.

Not saying good/bad, just the way it will be unless you really want to go the French way.

------------------
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

See, if nobody can use the terms good or bad, that's where it gets worse.

Comment

The Cajuns, since they were told by law in 1929 that English was the official language of Louisiana, can speak "standard" English at gunpoint but are happier with their own idiomatic use of it.

Ah may not be raht, but ahm sure.

------------------

Comment

Maybe "snow blower" has a room full of lawyers protecting the name, and they figured “snow throwerâ€‌ sounded pretty good after all??

BTW, it frosts me to hear "Bloody". It's pretty stupid to hear an American say it, no accent, it loses all credibility. Ya know? We tossed enough tea in the drink to keep murdering the language in our own unique way. Ever hear a Brit say "Fer-Shur, Totally". Hearing a Brit say it would make you change the channel and/or consume more alcohol.

Comment

Well, you bloody well aren't going to stop us from saying it here. The Queen still owns title to all public lands in Canada. The Royal Union Flag (Union Jack) is still an official flag of Canada.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

So when South Park declared war on Canada; We were actually fighting her HIGHness? Come on, ya' gotta' bloody right ta'say.

------------------
                        Dave da Slave , BFH

Comment

Since when has 'gone missing' been a British expression?

Tim (British)

Comment

"Gone Missing" What does that mean?
                            Gone, chasing single women?

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 01-22-2006).]
                            Ken.

Comment

Millman I can remember seeing the term snow thrower in the 70's I think it depends on the brand.

Snow blower is correct, Because no matter what way you direct the chute, the bloody wind blows the airborne snow right back in you face
                              Warren

Comment

Working...
                              X