Pix of bullnose cap and competed soft jaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pix of bullnose cap and competed soft jaws

Well the bullnose center that came with my lathe couldn't handle the RPM needed to get a nice finish on the aluminum rollers I'm making so I made a cap for a cheap center i had. First I chucked up a piece of 3.5" stock in the 4-jaw and center drilled it. Then I used the live center and turned the OD. After that I drilled the end and bored for a light press fit over my cheap live center. I then pressed in the center using the tailstock and put a few very small tack welds to insure it wouldn't move. Next I turned the OD again to make certain it was concentric to the center, then I started taking down stock where the taper was going to be. After removing enough stock and leaving only 1/2" or so at the narrowest I set the compound for a 60 degree taper and cut the taper. The last pass was at high speed to get a nice finish which I finished up with light filing. I then parted the cap from the stock in the chuck and then set up the whole center and cap in the 4-jaw to finish the tip. I elected for a rounded tip as this would never be hard enough to use as a regular center plus I'd have tool clearance issues anyway. Finally OD is roughly 3" and it worked great to clean up the OD of the aluminum tube I'm working with. The second pic is of the soft jaws bored for the tubing. I love the way these hold, I had 36" lengths of tubing in them with about 34" overhang and I bet I had less than 0.005" drop at the tailstock end. Backing out the tailstock to change tubes I could barely see the stock move, big difference from trying something similar on my little lathe. Plus the aluminum on aluminum doesn't marr the stock at all, I think the extra contact area helps there as well. Sorty I didn't take pics while I was making the cap, I didn't want to get my camera phone all dirty. I post pics of the rollers when finished.

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

I got a new one for you:

I'll email you the top secret pictures here in a day or so. I think I had to move every machine in my shop to make this happen.

Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

David,

Coming from you I'm sure I'll be intrigued, curious and baffled at the same time. I thought I had an imagination LOL.

BTW Finished the boring bar tonight, I'll have to post pics once I get home. Carbide bit worked like a champ to get the broken tap out.

------------------
      -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Working...
      X