What type of brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of brass?

What alloy of brass do you guys use to machine bushings? I was looking for like a "bearing" quality brass but couldn't find an alloy number for something like that.

I use #660 bronze. It is fairly tough but machines ok if the tools are sharp. Even drilled some #60 holes for lubrication in a block for my shaper's crank follower.

Geoff

Comment

There's about a million brass and bronze alloys so generalizations are dangerous, but typically bronze makes a much better bearing than brass.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

oillite it is good stuff for bushings.
        Kevin Middleton
        Rome Georgia

Comment

hey thanks guys, i'll look at some bronze then too! have to see about oilite...have just been looking at the alloy numbers offered by mcmaster

Comment

660/932 microcast bronze is what we use at work.It machines well,but requires external means of lubrication.

Oilite is pourous oil filled sintered bronze,it machines good,BUT when you machine it your cutting tools will usually smear flakes of bronze over the pores and seal them off which decreases the benifit of being self-lubricating.

It's best to buy readi-made oilite bushings that have the right size bore and machine the od instead of the bore.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

You will not find 660 bronze at the suppliers.
              It was relabeled as C 932 about 15 years ago when the identity of bronzes/brasses was changed.
              I know Weird used that # in his note

Comment

Working...
              X