Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wanna see a $9,000 CNC inlay machine for cue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanna see a $9,000 CNC inlay machine for cue??

http://home.stx.rr.com/n5wrx/cmon.jpg

Not a very good pic, but you get the idea

Are you saying that costs $9000?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

yeah, according to the owner of that particular cnc machine.

And yes, i think I am saying its way over priced.

I am betting that David could build it for way less. Or heck, almost any of you out there could.

I guess my post had 2 points.

1. Am i correct in thinking its a rip off.

2. It shows what lack of knowledge people have. I am sure this guy thinks he has the best equipment for the money.

Comment

Hmm. I'm in the wrong business. I could crank out at least one of those a month in my spare time. I could use an extra 100 grand a year.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that if one had the knowledge and desire to build one, it could be dont for a couple of thousand or less?

Comment

Let's see...

About $150 for the aluminum stock.

I can't tell what the lead screw is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 5 dollar piece of ready rod.

Maybe another $50 for a few bearings and such.

A couple of hundred for steppers and driver boards.

Allow a hundred for a spindle motor. I can supply a suitable computer and interface board for my cost of under $500.

Cost to build not including labor is $1000 US, tops, not including software.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cuemaker:
              Am I correct in thinking that if one had the knowledge and desire to build one, it could be dont for a couple of thousand or less?</font>
              ...Unless there's something really magical about the machine that doesn't show up in the photo, yes.

Just because someone puts a $9000 price tag on the thing, doesn't mean many folks are going to rush right out and buy one. Well, one person did, obviously, but how many more?

If you have the talent to churn out machines that are like this at a rate of a few per month, you should get at least $100K/yr for it. Not the exact same machine over and over, but adaptations of a similar concept. Is this thing like a specialized/adapted CNC Sherline lathe? How about a version for doing fancy engravings on rifle barrels? Or one with a sensor head that will capture a 3D "scan" of a part and produce Cad info or G-codes for producing another... There are lots of possibilities.

Seems to me that this kind of thing is exactly what David does, depending on his current need.
              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Thats what I thought. Thanks Evan and Wirecutter.

At some point I am goin to need one of these or something like it.

Is this considered a "gantry" type?

Comment

There is something magical ........
                  look at that cue its stained varnished and finished ready to pot black...hell of a machine that ..

all the best...mark

Comment

This is a simple gantry machine.

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/cncrouter.html

This one is a bit larger...

http://www.haascnc.com/details_VMC_G...1#VMCTreeModel

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 01-30-2006).]

Comment

cant tell if your joking Mark,

But the cue isnt even close to finished.

(not in order) Wrap area need to be cut in. Butt cap needs to be finished. Weight bolt installed. Once inlays done, finished turned. Wrap installed.

And then the cue gets finished and rubbed out. repeat often.

The reason the wood may looked finished is he may have put some mineral spirits or something to help pull the dust out of the wood and then maybe a sanding sealer.

Or am I being overly nerdy?

Comment

Thanks Evan. I hear quite a few people use a Gantry for the 4ht axis cnc stuff for cues

Comment

Hey, check out the video on the Haas site. Very cool.

http://www.haascnc.com/news/new_files/vmc/GR-408.wmv

Comment

I think that it is that little "thing-a-mabob" on the wall with the green button that adds all the value to it. It;s a flux capacitor used to alter the space time continuum so that the engraving tool can get out of the way of the wood chips.

[And "you guys" thought that it was "JUST" an air pump from an aquarium for blowing the dust away from the cutting area......ALOT YOU KNOW....LOL]

Or maybe the yellow "do-hicky" along the side that some think is a simple suction head for a vaccum. In reality....it's a black hole diode to suck the dust (blown around by the flux capacitor) away from equipment.

LOL.........Lee Paul

Comment

Feeling puny.. Done two things in two days. Hung a jib crane over my lathe,cnc press to lift the 200lb fender dies I have been working on for two years, the 4jaw chuck instead of letting it bang the lathe ways, and the big indexer onto the mill table.

Today, I made a rack to hold the 35 gallon barrel for the flood coolant system. After sketching it to fit in the hole alloted for it, I then went on to add wrench holders, a shelf, a swivel collet holder and another leg to support the extra shelf weight. OF COURSE it didn't any longer fit into the space.

Then as I was sitting kicking my Rube Goldberg self in the ass I noticed the winch is hanging backwards with the drum away from the cnc press. OF course I had to reverse it, meaning lift it over my head three more times.

The jib I made yesterday, it hits two conduits, two air lines, and the vacuum pump inch and a half, meaning a rework of all the plumbing in the ceiling. It cleared before Rube added in a neato triangulated brace across the top to reinforce it. I'll tackle that later.

Then I took a bandsaw and cut most the extras off the coolant rack so it will fit between the mill and lathe.......

YES sir, I can build that toy, I'd suggest just buying a Maxcnc, or Sherline and redoing it with a longer bed, since if RUBE built it, it will seriously run into cost overrun and have several engineering re-designs. That is a light duty machine, just need some reach and hold tolerance over the travel. As a matter of fact, you could market them for half the 9k and make money.

I'm sitting here having a coke Wondering where in the world Rube Goldberg went?

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 01-30-2006).]
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X