Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Finally used my Snowplow today (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally used my Snowplow today (Pictures)

I couldn't really take a video and plow at the same time so I just took pictures afterwards. We got about 6" of snow when I woke up so I plowed it this morning. The plow actually worked really well, but the motor that lifts up the blade is too weak so it sometimes stops lifting. I'm going to need a better winch.

-Adrian

Too bad it got all bent up like that....

------------------
    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Hook the winch cable to the top crossbar of the blade Adrian. It will have a much easier time lifting it. You will need to reenforce the winch mast though.

Seems to work OK so far.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

well for all the ribbing you took, seems to have worked well. even does double duty as a bulldozer lol.

Comment

yea, sure, fine, but when that small thermal nuclear blast comes along that aluminums gonna............

Nice job. nice to see a plan work ain't it?

Was it necessary to change the angles a lot or is the drive big enough that you can position for straight on plowing? When I was having trouble with my Meyer angleing I found I could do my entire drive with one setting if I preplaned just how each pass would go. (In other words, even if mine didn't angle I could still do my drive with one angle setting and the hell with the hydraulics) BTW, these plows don't angle so you can go from full left to full right. Do that and you ain't getting much work done. Keep just enough side angle on the blade that you are still pushing snow out in front of the truck but with no rivelet on the opposite side. From full on to full side I'd go about half way for a better, faster job.

Anybody going to the Harbor Freight Ball tonight in Buffalo, NY? They have a winch as prize for the best sky diving dance couple!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 01-23-2006).]
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Mcgyver, yup lots of ribbing I used 8 .130" wall ribs

Evan, the .120" wall mast doesn't seem to flex at all so I haven't bothered strengthing it up _yet_. I was running the cable to the lower cross member but next time I'll have a stronger mast and try the upper cross member. The angle from the upper member will probably bend the mast:

Comment

I have a very large driveway to plow. It works best with the blade set to a slight angle to one side. I then make sweeping semicircular passes that cause all the snow to run off the close to truck side of the blade on the outside of the circular path. That way I can make each pass nearly a full width of the plow blade. It leaves a very clean driveway.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:
                Was it necessary to change the angles a lot or is the drive big enough that you can position for straight on plowing? When I was having trouble with my Meyer angleing I found I could do my entire drive with one setting if I preplaned just how each pass would go. (In other words, even if mine didn't angle I could still do my drive with one angle setting and the hell with the hydraulics)
                </font>
                I don't really know what I'm doing so I probably made 6 or 8 un needed angle changes. I ended up making a few huge piles of snow at the end of my driveway by accident so I had to raise the blade, and push the top part of the pile back, then lower the blade 6" and skim the pile again, lower another 6", skim the pile again, etc. The plow mount and blade held the truck enough to stop the truck spin tires a _little_, but I'm not going to try raming or flooring it when the load stops the truck.

-Adrian

Comment

I noticed you put an A-frame on the lower supports, original was different. Your sneaky, using stock that looks too small but hiding the fact its thick walled. Hehe.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
                    I noticed you put an A-frame on the lower supports, original was different. Your sneaky, using stock that looks too small but hiding the fact its thick walled. Hehe.</font>
                    I changed out the old A-frame because I didn't like the rubber bushings. I originally thought the rubber bushings would be a good idea, but it made the bottom of the plow too spongy so I built a different A-Frame without rubber bushings. The new A-frame also has a lower profile pivot system.

Old A-Frame:

I told everyone what I made it out of, but because its unconventional, nobody really knows what they are looking at anyway

I think the only person that really provided a correct assessment was Evan, and someone else that suggested I should paint it because I can watch it rust in front of my eyes

-Adrian

Comment

3 phase
                      hope this isnt a double post i tried this before and it disappered. i ran a lot of equipment for a lot of yrs,still run grader and sand trucks on some of my days off for argo road maintnence in b.c.from your pictures it looks like you need to reset your plow shoes on the rear of the blade so they slightly lift the blade off the road surface if you hit something that doesnt give your truck frame WILL!!!! bend. there is no pickup built that is designed to take this,a cheap weak link in the system is good insurance.also a few min.spent planning where to push the windrow will speed up the job.push the windrow farther than you need to as youll need space for snow from futher storms,your light equipment will not move frozen rock hard windrows.expect the neighbors to be extra friendly,you now have something they need.lots of lucl

------------------
                      TOOL PIG
                      TOOL PIG

Comment

Yup, the blade was tilted too far forward so the shoes were also not at the right angle. I should have relaxed both rams and tightened the blue strap which tilts the blade backwards. It was the right angle when I started but after making several angle adjustments both rams ended up out too far. My next design will use trip spings, hydrolic rams, and will be heavy duty.

This is just a light duty personal plow that took 3 days to build.

-Adrian

Comment

How about doubling the cable back to the winch around a pulley on the lower frame? Double the lifting force with the same winch, just half as fast.
                          Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MarshSt:
                            How about doubling the cable back to the winch around a pulley on the lower frame? Double the lifting force with the same winch, just half as fast.
                            Steve
                            </font>

That's a good idea. I think what happened is I probably had a bad connection and was not getting full current because when I first tested the lift weeks ago, it was lifting twice as much weight as it was today. Today I used bannana clips for the battery and I bet I was not getting a good connection.

-Adrian

Comment

I just had to bump this up seeing all the snow up there.

I havent seen Abrain for a while I was wondering if he was busy fixing the so called plow.

Not that I miss him or anything though.

------------------
                              The tame Wolf !

Comment

Working...
                              X