centrifugal force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centrifugal force

i want to build a centrifugal clutch.. 45 hp.
    aprox 6 inch diameter. i want to engage this clutch at 1000 rpm. with a max speed of 3500 rpm, there will be three steel shoes, lined.
    question.. what kind of spring pressure do i require.. i will use three compression springs..(valve springs) i have a design in mind. but lack the formula...if any one can help me... thanks
    freddy
    15X50 colchester.. 9 inch southbend. milrite, wire feed

http://www.alcint.it/asp/RcfCalculator.asp?lang=E
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

thanks evan.. i came up with 112 is this the weight?

Comment

It is the acceleration factor. 112 means 112 times the effective weight, or 112 gees.

If the weight of the shoes is one pound at 1000 rpm they will experience 112 times the force meaning a 112 pound spring will be needed, more or less.

Comment

good deal thanks again
          freddy

Comment

Did you do the metric conversion right? For a radius of 3" (76.2mm) I get a gee factor of 85 at 1000 rpm.

Comment

no.. i entered dia..but 85 is closer to the spring pressure..which is a good thing..
              freddy

Comment

The formula for centrifugal acceleration, a=rw**2, gives 85.27 gravities (r=.0762m, w=104.72 radian/sec), so Evan's number gets my vote.

Comment

As a point of interest the average washing machine generates up to 400 gees in the spin cycle. Some models in Europe produce over 1000 gees. This begs the question of what happens if the cat gets in there?

Comment

A dryer version of what happens to cats when they get sucked into a woodworking dust collector

------------------
                    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
                    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                      As a point of interest the average washing machine generates up to 400 gees in the spin cycle. Some models in Europe produce over 1000 gees. This begs the question of what happens if the cat gets in there?</font>
                      "Flatcat".

Has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Uh oh...sounds like someones talking from expierence here.

Comment

Working...
                        X