Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter S
    replied
    Remember in India you can still buy a new Morris Oxford (1950's), also a Royal Enfield motorcycle, Fiat 125, International B-250 tractor, 1960's-looking jeeps, Leyland trucks, old-style merc trucks etc etc.

But they also sell modern cars like Suzuki, Hyundai, Mercedes, all made in India as far as I know.

The Oxfords have been "modernised" with a crappy plastic dashboard and a diesel engine and are still used by taxi drivers and others who want a largish car in which they can sit in the back and be driven.

The Royal Enfields are also top of the pile for bikes - you can buy modern, smaller, "lesser" bikes. They have developed the old 350 and now produce it in 500cc and also with a diesel engine option!!

The old (1930's?) Lister diesel stationary engines are still manufactured and sold worldwide. they can be seen in the middle of a field, un-protected, chugging away...

Villiers, once the English maker of millions? of small engines was continuing on in India a few years ago.

So everything old is new again - in India.

FYI, the largest steel company in the world is Indian, and its getting bigger.

Leave a comment:

• uute
    replied
    Banjo asked for link:

One is http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machi...88450030771098

or if you go to www.machinetools.com you have to search for shaper as they don't have a catagory for them. Were several models under 3 brands, never seen a price quote

uute

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
    So that's why broaching kits cost so much </font>
    No,that's why broach sets are so cheap

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nutter:
    I've never used one either, but they are good for internal keyways.
    </font>
    So that's why broaching kits cost so much

Leave a comment:

• Nutter
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
    Is there anything a shaper is really good at that a mill isn't? I've never used a shaper myself.

-Adrian
    </font>
    I've never used one either, but they are good for internal keyways.

I also saw a web page somewhere once (link now lost) where a guy had ground his HSS tool to rack shape and use the shaper to make a true involute on a gear blank. Sorta rotated the blank as it fed past the tool in the X direction... It was cool and made sense. I'll have to look for that link...

I'd love to have one. I've wanted one ever since I first read the Gingery books about 15 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes, where are these shapers? I'm disapointed that Grizzly doesn't even sell a Shaper. What's up with that? Have shapers been replaced by mills? Is there anything a shaper is really good at that a mill isn't? I've never used a shaper myself.

-Adrian

Leave a comment:

• banjoallen
    replied
    got a link?

Leave a comment:

• uute
    started a topic NEW Shapers - made in India!!

NEW Shapers - made in India!!

WOW! Just thought that was interesting!

Seen 3 company (names anyway), 32 - 40 inch stroke.

uute
Working...
X