Feb /Mar MW R-8 collet holder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb /Mar MW R-8 collet holder?

I was reading the latest issue of MW where the author suggests boring out the collet holder .006 over size { The pilot Dia. page 9 second paragraph }.I Miked mine and they were right on .950. So, why bore thet much clearance ?I would think plus .001 minus nothing or am I wrong ? Chris
    Ypsilanti Michigan

Didn't see the article in question,but I have made several R-8 closers I think your right.+/-.001" would be the max I would use.

You might take a mic and do a sampling of your collets to see if they are consistent thou,some of the 5-C stuff isn't to consistent between mfgs.Hope this helps.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

They vary.

I made a 3C closer, made it to Zagar specs.... Hardinge and S-B collets went in right, closed right, came out right (aside from the sprung ones from Sobel ).

Got an import collet, would have needed a press to get it in , or out again.

Then you get to decide if you want to call teh import one bad, or lap out to use it.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Jters,

sounds like maybe you lap or grind down the offending collet - if it isn't one of 50 by 64ths!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by uute:
          Jters,

sounds like maybe you lap or grind down the offending collet - if it isn't one of 50 by 64ths!
          </font>

D'y know? I think I won't do that..........

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
          X