sealing borosilicate glass tube in a blind hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sealing borosilicate glass tube in a blind hole

Need to seal a 3/4 od glass tube in blind hole any one have any tricks ,will have medium temperature on the glass tube,bty this is an attempt to build a one piston stirling heat engine (tried for years aint got one to run yet) maybe this time. Thanks
    mm curvin

Please elaborate.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have never tried this.

Have you tried the high temp bearing mount grade of Loctite? That should hold it and be good for up to 350F.
      Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

When you say "seal" I think of a gas tight bonded seal as used in sealing the wires going into a light bulb. I used to do some glass blowing many years ago making scientific devices like mercury diffusion pumps. Is this the sort of seal you mean?

Comment

TO reply i only need to seal the glass tube to the al block to keep pressure of piston from leaking,had idea of some type of compound or heating al block and cool fit to glass tube.
          mm curvin

Comment

Borosilicate glass has a nearly zero coefficient of linear expansion. Trying to shrink on the Al won't work. Just use an elastomeric sealer with a slightly loose fit to the Al, a few thou clearance should do. Permatex High Temp Form-A-Gasket 1372 Sealant is good to 600F and should do the job.

Comment

This looks like a job for an O-ring groove and a silicone o-ring.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

weirdscience,would you please explain a silicon o ring am not familiar with this .Thank You.
                mm curvin

Comment

Surely you know what an o-ring seal is. Harbor Freight has a kit with lots of sizes of 0-rings. I don't know what temperatures they will tolerate. Do you know what temperatures you should expect?

Comment

An O-ring seems like a good solution to me too. Apple Rubber has a nice design manual that can be downloaded:

http://www.applerubber.com/

You'll have to register to get the manual, but they seem to be a reputable company, so that wouldn't worry me.

Parker also has a nice design manual, but I alwways have a hard time find the proper link, so you'd have to find that on your own.

Mike
                    Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

If you use an O-ring it will have to be silicone, not neoprene, in order to withstand the heat. As for the glass tubing you should be using scientific grade tubing. One brand is Trubore. This tubing is held to approx .001" tolerance on the ID.

Comment

to sjorgenson yeah i know what an o ring is do you know what a silicone o ring is !

------------------

mm curvin
                        mm curvin

Comment

Silicone O-rings are usually red, blue or other colors but not usually black. They can withstand temperatures up to about 400F to 500F. The Permatex sealer is readily available at any auto parts store and isn't expensive. It also goes even higher to 600F.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by electromotive17:
                            weirdscience,would you please explain a silicon o ring am not familiar with this .Thank You.</font>
                            Here you go,type 3271 in to the search box and hit find.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 02-04-2006).]
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I mad a couple of manometers from borosilicate glass tube in aluminum blocks for low dP air measurements. I started with loctite and it wouldn't stay tight. Continual leaks.

I ended up drilling the aluminum so that I could stretch an o-ring over the end of the tube and roll into the hole in the aluminum block when the tube was pushed in. I then put a few drops of epoxy between the tube and aluminum to mechanically keep things from moving around. The o-ring provides the seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X