Not exactly machining, but fun anyhow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not exactly machining, but fun anyhow

My friend asked me if we could build a deer stand that could be moved easily. After a little figuring, we came up with a converatble unit that stands about 25' tall at the windows when set-up. We have a 1000 lb winch using a block and tackle system to ease the load.
    Here are the pictures:
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/isi...dir=/My+Photos

That is pretty slick. It makes me want to build a guard tower in my back yard.

Comment

Hey,
      That is slick as snot on a bedpost! I sent your pics to other friends. What a great idea!! Fantastic, great Job
      Fred

Comment

With that setup, you don't even have to set it up and wait.....

You can post 1 or 2 people in the tower, drag the trailer around and shoot the critters on the run........

Moving targets are alot more fun than "still hunting".

Oh well.......Back to tying cans to the cats tail............Rodg
        RPease

Comment

OK I guess if you don't like exercise. When I go deer huntin' I prefer to run 'em to death. Give the meat a better flavor. I gotta do my runni' in swampy ground though or my sneakers overheat.

Comment

That's something I could never understand. Let's see:

$1000 for a rifle and equipment.
            $1800 for a trailer.
            $1000 for a tower.
            $2500 for a lease.
            $5000 for a sleep-in pop-up.
            $1000 for a truck load of food and beer.

All for a 120lbs of meat and a week of wet, stinking, miserable vacationing in the country. Ah ya, that's huntin'.

Comment

Ken you forgot standing in the unemployment line after you get fired for taking off work to go hunting Thats common around here.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wow! You guys put a lot of thought into this. Question.. what keeps it in the locked up position?

Comment

I'll have to build one of them to clean my palm trees...nice work.

Comment

Fun? I will kill my food as necessary. Spending inordinate amounts of money to kill animals as entertainment is not my idea of recreation. Looks like shooting fish in a barrel. What a challenge. Why not dig pits?

Considering the amount of money and time spent on that you could have bought a couple of freezers and at least 4 or 6 sides of beef. What is the justification for this project? BTW, I eat lots of meat with no particular compunction.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 04-30-2004).]
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well,
                      First the question of why spend the time and money on hunting something that will only put 120 lbs of meat in the freezer. It is sort of like owning a bridgeport mill to make a $2.00 part every month or so. It would clearly be cheaper to pay soemone to make it for you. We all know it is the experience doing so and the ability to do it. The main reason we hunt is to get the family and friends together and spend the entire weekend in BFE and enjoy each others company. Maybe even drink a can of beer or two.
                      Secondly, when the unit is pivoted all the way vertical, it has two inserts that are slid into the lower support then lowered back down against the frame. You can see the owner installing them in one of the later pictures.
                      Here in Texas, we are hunting on 6000 or more acres, and it is solid brush. The point is to get up high and see where the deer are. Being a mile in the air does not give an advantage. The hunter still has to plan and make the shot.
                      Have a great day,

Doug

Comment

Doug:
                        Great Idea and well said.

Larry

Comment

One should kill out of necessity only, never as sport.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If you eat meat you either kill the critter yourself and call it sport or pay someone else to kill the critter and call it grocery shopping.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Comment

Very cool set up!
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X