Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buggy's rear suspension prototype done (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggy's rear suspension prototype done (Pics)

I fabricated a prototype suspension system for my buggy today. I have too much rear suspension travel (18") for cheap VW type short travel shocks (6") so I designed this rocker suspension system for my 5-link rear end which lets me use several cheap short travel coil overs.

Here is a video showing the suspension travel (800k) .WMV:

http://www.bbssystem.com/buggy/rears.wmv

This is just a non-structural prototype for getting the geometry correct. Once I'm happy with everything, I'm going to build the rear suspension components. This is just for mock-up purposes. Building a custom suspension system is so much fun I'm in no rush to finish it any time soon

-Adrian

I swear, that thing is built better than most the v8 rock crawlers.. not a cage, but heavy enough for a v8..
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

A torquey V8 would be fun with just one gear and a big homemade centrifugal clutch

If I want crazy power, A 300HP+ Suzuki hayabusa Turbo 1300cc engine will drop right in my Buggy.

If I can get the front end of my buggy to bounce up high enough after landing a jump I'll be able to wheelie this thing as long as I want.

-Adrian

Comment

Adrian....lookin good!
        Something I've always wanted to build...something that'd jump like a long travel dirt bike!
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
          I designed this rocker suspension system for my 5-link rear end which lets me use several cheap short travel coil overs.</font>
          Adrian, out of curiousity, what kind of shocks and where did you get them - I'm always looking for new sources of "interesting stuff"..

------------------
          This Old Shed
          EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Russ, I can't wait to challenge the suspension system

HTRN, the coilover shocks are designed for for VW bugs (direct replacements). They only cost $50 a pair (~$25 each). Here is were I buy them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8039121212

-Adrian

Comment

Looks nice

You gonna put bump stops on there to keep from over traveling the suspension and bottoming out?

Comment

Personally, I like the work bench. Looks like the way I work. The buggy is looking good too.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
                  Looks nice

You gonna put bump stops on there to keep from over traveling the suspension and bottoming out?
                  </font>

I'm going to install rubber stops inside of the coilovers that will bottom out before the chassis bumbs. I'm also going to use limit straps on the rockers to prevent over extension when I launch off jumps.

Evan, I built my bench out of 4x4" douglas fur and have a 400lb+ 1/4" 4x8' steel plate on top. The bench takes up almost zero floor space: Shop Bench Build

-Adrian

-Adrian

Comment

If you have 18 inches suspension travel and 6 inches shock travel, shouldn't the rocker have a 3 to 1 length ratio? Looks like less than 2 to 1 in the photo. And won't the shock have to be three times as "stiff" due to the leverage?
                    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carl:
                      If you have 18 inches suspension travel and 6 inches shock travel, shouldn't the rocker have a 3 to 1 length ratio? Looks like less than 2 to 1 in the photo. And won't the shock have to be three times as "stiff" due to the leverage?</font>
                      I have around 18 inches of travel at the axle's spline which extends further down from the pivot point of the rocker. The longer my control rods are, the more travel I'll get with the same angle. Here is a dumbed up picture for ya. The long green travel line is about 3 times longer than the short green pivot line:

The shocks I'm using are for a VW bug which weights a lot more than my buggy and I'm using two of them per side so the mechanical advantage against two of them should still provide a stiff suspension. I could even have 3 in a row per side if I want.

-Adrian

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 02-20-2006).]

Comment

Seems to me what you're saying would be true if the pivot point of the rocker arm was in the same plane as the pivot point of the control arms. The outer end of the rocker is virtually directly above and connected to the hub carrier. When that hub carrier moves through its 18 inches of travel, the outer end of the rocker is going to move through close to 18 inches also, and since the rocker is not at a 3 to 1 length ratio the shock is going to bottom on both ends of it's travel before the hub can travel through it's full eighteen inches of travel. Seems to me you either need to make the rocker 3 to 1, or move it's pivot point into the same plane as the control arms.
                        THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Looking good! Are you gonna put them heim joint in double shear eventually?

------------------
                          -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Carl, the rocker arm and the carrier struts travel at different rates.

rsr911, All heim joints will be double sheer except three on the carrier which use full length 1/2" bolts through the carrier. The pivot arm/setup is just using tacked on single sheer tabs for mockup right now.

-Adrian

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
                              HTRN, the coilover shocks are designed for for VW bugs (direct replacements). They only cost $50 a pair (~$25 each). Here is were I buy them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8039121212
                              </font>
                              Thanks, that goes into my "Ways to get my fool ass killed" file.

HTRN

------------------
                              This Old Shed
                              EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Working...
                              X