Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I.C. model engines , What are you building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.C. model engines , What are you building?

I was just curious how many of us are working away in our shops building these little devils? I am just finishing up my odds&ends hit & miss engine by Phil Duclous and it has been a joy to build.

Regards,

Lathe Dog

I have a "Maverick" also by Phil Duclos roughed out, but presently on hold. Hope to get back to it this winter. So many things, so little time.

Comment

(double post)

[This message has been edited by Sprocket (edited 11-30-2002).]

Comment

I built the Odds & Ends engine several years ago. Traded it and my Benchmaster mill for current Rockwell mill.

I presently have Tom Ball's Fairbanks, a Breisch 1/4 scale Hired Man, Duclos Gearless and four Maytags in various stages of completion.

Just picked up a Fairbanks Morse 1-1/2 HP headless Z full size to restore. Cute little bugger.
        Jim H.

Comment

Hi JC,

sounds like you are very busy! I was wondering are the maytags scale models?I built the Gearless engine a couple of years ago,fun project!

lathe dog

Comment

Hi Sprocket,

I know what you mean it took me about 2 years to finish my first engine.

Lathe Dog

Comment

I'm working on Edgar T. Westbury's "Kiwi," the water-cooled version. Next job on the list is the piston rings, as per George Trimble's series in "Strictly I.C." magazine.

I was making pretty good progress on the engine, then other stuff intervened and I haven't gotten back to regular work on it yet.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I'm about 1/3 done with Lindsay's Atkinson Cycle Engine. Did all the castings, have most of them machined. Hope to finish it in another month or so. After lots of Steam and Stirling engines, I decided it was time to move up to I.C. I have Bob Shores "Eagle" castings, will probably do that next.

BTW, What have members experiences been with Briesch-Peters castings? I have read some negative reports on them, but the price is
                sure attractive.

Ken aka Ozarks Hermit
                Shell Knob, Mo
                Ken aka Ozarks Hermit
                Shell Knob, Mo

Comment

Does anybody know were we can get plans and or castings for the P$W r2800. We're looking at one as a group project.
                  Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I've made a walking beam and mill steam engines and H/M Olds (Briesch?, castings were good), Red Wing, a 1/2 and 1/4 scale air cooled Gade engines. The 1/4 scale is the nicest of the bunch, beautiful lost wax castings and fun to run. John

Comment

lathe dog, the Maytags models are from castings by Brad Smith. Castings not so hot. They are about 5 or 6 years old. Maybe they are better now.
                      hermit, the Breisch Peters castings I have are good, and I have heard no complaints from others.
                      Anybody interested in IC should get the Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos. Lots of good information, including making piston rings. Have made many with his method, no problems, work well. Much simpler than other methods. Plenty of other projects in that book also. I built several, including the modeler's dividing head. Made everything, including the gears.
                      Jim H.

Comment

The snow is starting to fall so I am going to start working my Plunket Jr. I got the plans from Jerry Howell. I started it last winter and put it away for the summer and now is the time to get it out and may be finish it.

Comment

ozarks Hermit,
                          have not heard any good or bad about Breisch-Peters castings but I have seen the 1/4 scale Gade that John Foster is refering to and the castings look very nice. The Gade engine is a fascinating engine design to me.

Lathe Dog

Comment

I just ordered one of the Motor Boys plan books, and want to start in on one of diesel engines, but haven't decided on which one yet. As I don't have threading capability on my Taig, I may adapt a design to have all flanged and bolted connections between the crankcase, cylinder, head and backplate.

Comment

Spin Doctor - Look at http://cincinnati.com/ageless for 7,9,14,&18
                              cylinder radial engine plans and some castings. Another rather new, but looks cool is a 1/4 scale 12 cylinder Merlin at
                              www.dynamotive.netfirms.com/merlin

Comment

Working...
                              X