mill/drill stand mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mill/drill stand mounts

What is the prefered set-up? I would assume, a actual machine mount, isolated with rubber. My stand is tapped for a 14x2 thread. I have been unable to lacate a actual mount in this thread.

Mark

I have exhausted all resources, for this thread pitch. I have resigned myself to just using a highgrade bolt (M14x2), threaded in from the bottom. This would leave the head of the bolt as the contact to the concrete floor. Knowing the machine weighs in at near 1000lbs, with vice etc., does anyone see a problem with this? My concerns are the machine walking. Would a high density "coaster", be reccomended?

As alway's thanks for any input.

Mark

Comment

-O-
      I started using 'Berrymounts' and never looked back. No more holes in the floor and a great reduction in vibration.

Comment

Hi density rubber machine mounts can be ridiculously expensive. Especially when compared to hockey pucks.

Hockey pucks can furthermore be turned, drilled or milled to accomodate any size, shape, fitting or density.

Enjoy.

Comment

I used hockey pucks under my new mill. I think its' weight was listed @2800#. My mother actually came up with the idea for me when I was showing the mill to my Mom and Dad and lamenting the cost of machine mounts after just spending the amount on the mill. They have worked fine for me.

Sid

Comment

I suggest you do not have the 14MM bolt head in contavt with concrete. Reason is: Concrete, even good stuff, is about 3500 PSI load bearing. The Mogilli (how ever you spell the expoy from germany used to rebuild ways takes even less (according to the saleman who called several months ago). That doesn't sound too bad if you figure the area of the bolt head and only a 1000 LB machine. BUT, the bolt head probably will not fit the floor, with vibration the bolt will start to wear a cup into the floor.

Rubber or wood or even steel to spread the weight is more reliable. Rule I follow is no hard stuff moving on hard stuff if possible. The Old issues of MHB had a good write up on gaskets, even (especially) thin paper to "key parts together, spread the loads.

Do your own calcuations, but a phonograph needle with a stylus for stereo records, puts a terriffic weight per square inch on the tracks, Point loading is too often over looked. Those spike heels the gals used to wear punched holes in commercial flooring real bad. Funny thing, I watched carefully many time and missed the wear on the floor- i do love to see a well turned ankle, nuff engineering for one day!
            Steve

Comment

I've got a couple of pressure-treated 2x6s under the feet of my milling machine. I took the feet off the cabinet for a mainframe computer (back when mainframe computers filled whole rooms....)

----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I cast a concrete pad with 4 2.25" diameter holes. I used 1/2" threaded rod imbedded with some cement intended for that purpose and bolted the stand down and added about 250 pounds of sand (in bags) in the cabinet. This cut down on the vibration of the stand.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ochster:
                What is the prefered set-up? I would assume, a actual machine mount, isolated with rubber. My stand is tapped for a 14x2 thread. I have been unable to lacate a actual mount in this thread.

Mark
                </font>

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for the reply's.

I had some 3 1/2in. Delrin round stock, cut into 1 in. thick "pucks". I then bored a 1/4 in. deep hole, 1 in. in dia., into the center. That way the M14 bolt head will recess into the "puck". The stuff appears to be pretty dense and tough.

Comment

If the stand is one of the factory stands that comes with import drill/mills I would not waste your money on pads. The factory stand are too weak and should be flat ont he ground and not lifted up at four corners. I did on my and the stand would flex alot

Dan

Comment

Dan, I have seen some of the lighter duty stands. But the one that came with my RF45, is actually fairly robust. But after your comments, I believe I will have a welder friend look at it. Thanx

Comment

Working...
                      X