OT:Car flipped on ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:Car flipped on ice

On her way home last night my daughter hit some black ice and flipped her car. It ended up upside down in the ditch in three feet of snow.
    She was not hurt and thhe only damage was a broken window and a mirror. The tow truck diver said it probaly wrecked the engin from bing upside down for an hour. He started it and it died.
    My thought is there is oil on the cylinders and taking the spark plugs out and turning the car over a few times will correct it. I am looking for some advice on this. Gary P. HHansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

First, thank GOD your daughter is okay.(Was she wearing her seatbelt?). If the engine didn't run upside down for an extended period of time it should be okay. My friend back in high school bought a '37 Ford with a 283 chevy in it from a guy that was deaf. He said the engine ran real rough. We took it home and pulled the pan. The front two connecting rods were broken. We decided to run the engine without the pan (no oil) and see how long it would take to seize up. We let it idle for a while and nothing happened so we revved it up and still nothing. We finally got bored and gave up. We were quite amazed that we couldn't get it to seize. Seems an engine (at least a small block Chevy) with no load on it will go quite a while with no oil and no load on it.
    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Glad to hear that your daughter is ok.
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

But, you can't hook a tow truck to them and drag them backwards in gear..

Craps up the engine in a couple blocks.
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Seven or eight years ago, I flipped a Ford truck on its side off a small bridge in a rain storm. The truck was almost keeling over on its top but stopped just short. Same type deal - no damage to anything, I wasn't going very fast so it landed in the mud and stopped. I had my wife and 3 boys inside, it took two of us to push the door open since all the weight was trying to shut it. I turned off the engine and we all climbed out to wait for the tow truck, which took a couple of hours because we were in the country. I had it towed home and let it sit for the night, then drained and changed all fluids the next day. It fired up fine and I still drive it today.

If the cylinders are clear, I doubt anything is damaged on your daughter's car.

Comment

If it's a newer car it propably tripped the impact switch that shuts off the fuel pump.

It started because there was still some pressure in the lines.

It will have to be reset. Maybe a simple disonnect the battery and reconnect?
            Gene

Comment

It will say in the owners manual where th auto shutoff is.

------------------
              The tame Wolf !

Comment

I'm glad your daughter's ok. The fuel shutoff switch if equiped usually requires a manual reset. As far as the engine it should be ok if none of the cylinders had much oil in them when the driver started it, I've seen rods bent that way.

Comment

Glad to hear your daughter is alright. Hopefully your daughter isn't too "shaken up" to drive again, and there is no hidden damage that will show up later.

We have had a mild winter so far locally, but it hasn't keep the fatality rate low.
                  Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Fuel shut off, yes. I set mine off when I got "curbed" by a person who cut me off in traffic. The curbs here are granite, 6 inch high straight up things, thus the impact shut me off ASAP (Ford Ranger) and the front wheels were also bent.

As for the oil situation, I saw this once. The trick was to try and suck stuff out with a small shop vac nozzle end first. Next, drain the oil in the pan, usually about two days later to let things settle out. Check for Antifreeze. Then re-fill with three quarts, not four. Try to start things up, then check your dip stick for levels and color to see if you have more drain out. You may blow some oil out the pipe, maybe not. If things get going, then continue checking levels, and fill to proper levels within a reasonable time, say five minutes of running. Check your plugs for fouling as well. Oil will immediately try to burn onto the plugs if it is there, and will foul stuff up.

You may want to do a second oil change within about 50 miles for mental assurance, and in case you start to show coolant of just have plain old junk in the cylinders. You also want to check plugs again, and if you want the mental assurance, change them out again.

Keep an eye on things a few weeks.

This is what I did when I had to fix a friends mustang that did a one and 1/2 into three feet of snow. Worked.
                    CCBW, MAH

Comment

I was on a run once with four other bikers. None of us knew the road and we came across a sudden bend. The first bike ended up upside-down in a tree, the second and third (mine) parallel parked in a ditch and the forth was dropped by the guy at the back because he was laughing so much. When we picked ourselves up and stopped laughing, we pulled the first bike out of the tree, pulled the air filter (that was soaked in oil) and got it going again without any further problems. Probably would have been more serious for the bikes that went into the ditch if that ditch hadn’t been dry at the time. Internal combustion engines are pretty robust.

Friend of mine crashed her car on ice about a month ago. It seems she hit some black ice. The problem is that, on a salted road, patches of ice will still form where wind chill takes the temperature below the freezing point of brine (-7C, if I remember correctly). If the wind changes direction, a previously safe road can become an ice rink. Her accident was on a main road. It seems that she was the unlucky one that found the ice first. Of course, she thought she was safe to drive normally because the rest of the road was OK.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allan Dimmock:
                        [B]
                        The problem is that, on a salted road, patches of ice will still form where wind chill takes the temperature below the freezing point of brine (-7C, if I remember correctly). If the wind changes direction, a previously safe road can become an ice rink. B]</font>
                        Not trying to be argumentative, but...wind chill has no effect on water, brine or any other inanimate object. The wind chill factor only approximates the effect the wind has on skin and how cold it feels at a given temperature and wind speed. So, regardless of how hard the wind blows it will have no effect on whether the brine freezes or not-temperature alone will determine that. My uncle, a physics professor, taught me that fact years ago and I sometimes point it out to people just to enlighten them as he did for me. I've listed a couple of references below:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...nd-chill_x.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/fo...windchill.html

[This message has been edited by alrednek (edited 02-26-2006).]

Comment

It is not so much wind chill as it is that the areas that are affected by wind are often times hit by sun during the day due to the areas open nature, which causes ice to melt into the road off the snow on the sides, thus causing more water on the road. These areas are also affected by snow blowing into the road.

CCBW, MAH

Comment

A 30 mph wind at 20 degrees is not colder than 20 degrees in still air - but it will take a surface to the freezing point quicker because it's removing ambient heat at a faster rate. In other words, if your water pipes are at 60 degrees during the day while the sun is shining and the temp drops below freezing at night, they will freeze more quickly if the wind is blowing. Everything is trying to reach equilibrium, so exposed pipes and bridges freeze faster than the road because the wind can remove the sun's heat more quickly.

Comment

about four years ago Christmas eve I had loaned my new car three weeks old 300miles on clock to my youngest son Russell.He had to go to the hospital about 50 mioles from my house on Christmaqs eve as he is a doctor and was on duty then.On the way there he left the road in an avalanche and skidded across the road and down a very steep embankment down a grassy slope and crashed onto a giant ten toot high boulder and landed in the river. He walked out totaly unhurt he reckons the air bag saved him certain death.So I am pleased to hear your daughter like my son are alive to tell the tale god bless Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X