Butterfly frost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly frost

After having read the section about "frost finishes" in the recon book, I was busting to try the butterfly frost on anything. For me looks rate right up there with function. So I tried my hand out on a solid brass puzzle I made this summer. My tool was very primitive, a piece of square carbide bolted to a strip of metal for a handle. I left the edge square and honed it on a piece of 800 wet and dry. The edge was almost razor sharp. I was amazed. Each piece, 3/4 square x 2", took about 30 minutes to do. I took a pic of the results and posted it on my web site and I now have the puzzle setting on my desk at work. Hopefully no one will like more than I do.....
    http://communities.msn.com/Metalworkingprojects
    Enjoy.

Looks really great, I will have to try that soon.

Thanks for sharing,

Jerry

Comment

A super nice job.

Comment

Ummmm, I like the "Christmas lights reflecting off the puzzle" frosting better.

Greg
        "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Martin:
          Nice puzzle! and frosty too...

Comment

Here's some rain for the parade. Feel free to hate me, I don't care:

Frosting involves putting relatively deep grooves into a precision surface. The result is:

1) loss of bearing points, increasing the per-point loading

2) some additional oil retention

3) creation of a really neat pocket for grit to hide in, escaping the wipers and burrowing under your precision sliding surfaces to lap them.

4) offering of an oil escape path to allow oil to be pressed out the same as water out from under your tires on the grooved pavement of a highway. See number 1, because there is more chance of metal-to-metal contact.

Sure you like "frosting"? I would not have it for a gift, and would regard it as a possible price-reducing defect on a piece of machinery......

Comment

Martin nice looking work, now do you know how to make crescent marks?
              Oso, being this is a puzzle I don't think Martin is going to need much oil. I could be wrong but I think its pretty analog and the air cooled model. I think Machine Tool Reconditioning book says you should lap it after you frost it. I'd have to look that up to be absolutely sure to lazy to do it right now. Oso, those are good points to keep in mind.
              Happy Holidays

Comment

Oso, you are right. The frost is not always appropriate.
                BUT, after reading the section on frosting, I just had to see what it would look like.
                As for being able to make the cresent frost mark, I have not really tried. Namely because, like others, the explaination on how it is done has a lot to be desired. And to be real honest with you, I don't get it...

Comment

Working...
                X