screw machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOWOLF,

Any particular B&S machine I should keep an eye out for?
    KMFDM
    Better Than The Best
    Megalomaniacal
    And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

"Do you remember what the name of the bolt place is that you mentioned? Are they still in business? Contact info? "

Slayer',

It was Northwest Bolt in Seattle. Long gone. I didn't even attend their auction.

In recent years they'd morphed into construction fasteners and other "crude" type bolts compared to what they'd made on the little screw machine.

You might consider one of the smallish Traub machines, A15, A25. 15&25mm capacity respectively. They're about as small (foot print and weight)as you'll easily find on the market.

Some guys have mentioned the small capacity Swiss machines. They may be small capacity, they aren't necessarily physically small though.

[This message has been edited by DR (edited 03-02-2006).]

Comment

DR,

Do you know who the machine that they had in their lobby was manufactured by?

[This message has been edited by slayer666 (edited 03-02-2006).]
        KMFDM
        Better Than The Best
        Megalomaniacal
        And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Can any of you guys recommend any good books to read to educate myself about screw machining operations and maintenance, or just screw machining in general?
          KMFDM
          Better Than The Best
          Megalomaniacal
          And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

B&S 00 (double ought)

You want the B&S book on cam making, the blue one.

Comment

Rustybolt,

Where can I get a copy of that book and how much does it cost?
              KMFDM
              Better Than The Best
              Megalomaniacal
              And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Well, if you're looking to buy something to learn, forget the CNC swiss machines - they're a bloody fortune, even used. New, the prices start at a hundred grand and quickly skyrocket.

Used cam machines generally wind up as scrap - nobody wants them. That's probably you're best bet for getting one cheap. The kind of jobs that they do best(long run, simple, loose tolerance work, low strenght/high machinability) were one of the first things to go offshore. The few screwmachine shops that still run cam machines have juicy contracts, generally with the DOD for some simple doodad that is required in quantity. They generally pay like crap as the real skill with these machines is making the cams.

As for making jokes about "screw machines", I casually mentioned that my last job was running a "Citizen screw machine", that got the response of "that's the perfect name for the DNC!"

HTRN

------------------
                This Old Shed
                EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
                  (sarcasm on)No kidding? What an original idea.(sarcasm off)

</font>

Can't help it if you don't have a sense of humor...

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 03-02-2006).]
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

HTRN,

I was only considering the cam machines, as I had a feeling that I couldn't afford a CNC machine. I'm a paperboy(kinda pathetic, ain't it, at 18 years old), and if I'm lucky, I make $2500 a year, so I don't often have a lot of money to spend. I don't have a lot of room in my garage, and my parents don't want to drag home some huge machine that is going to take up a lot of space, so it not only needs to be small size-wise, it also needs to be lightweight(under 1000 pounds) and CHEAP. I also only have 110v 20-amp power in my garage, so it would also have to be capable of running on that or be capable of being modified to run on my available power. I'm thinking that my hopes may be somewhat unrealistic.
                    KMFDM
                    Better Than The Best
                    Megalomaniacal
                    And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Who are the best sources for screw machine parts and tooling? I'm looking for companies that specialize in screw machine tooling and parts?
                      KMFDM
                      Better Than The Best
                      Megalomaniacal
                      And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Ok, there is what is called a "second operation" lathe that gets called a screw machine, they have a cross slide (not shown in picture) and a rear turret, At the shop we have one thats a hardinge knock off that was found used for $300. It takes 5c collets.

that may be a perfect place to start.

It will make bushing, studs,,,,

here is a basic one

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 03-02-2006).]

Comment

If I were to get a B&S 00, what accessories should I keep an eye out for? Should I get a 00 or 00G? I did some research, and this machine looks like it would be almost perfect. It's going to take a hell of a lot of work to convince my parents to let me drag one of these home, though. Any advice on how to go about doing that? Also, could I make the bar feed any shorter than 6 feet? Or for that matter is the bar feed even necessary? Is there any other way to feed stock to the machine that doesn't occupy so much room? Just how much noise do these machines make? Would they disturb my neighbors? How much should I expect to spend on tooling to start out? Does B&S make a machine smaller than the 00 or 00G? Sorry about asking so many questions in one post.
                          KMFDM
                          Better Than The Best
                          Megalomaniacal
                          And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Originally posted by HTRN
                            (Used cam machines generally wind up as scrap - nobody wants them.)(simple, loose tolerance work)

Got 2 Star SJ8 cam machines 3 years ago and have made my investment back with the first job I did on them and it was not a simple, loose tolerance job. Machines are still running today.

slayer666
                            I know that you will not find a screw machine under 1000 pounds. My Star machines are around 1400+ lbs. and my Strohm M125 is 2000 lbs. I whould think it would be best for you to try and get a job in a job shop that whould be willing to train you on how to setup and run machines if there are any in your area.
                            You also said (my parents don't want you to drag home some huge machine that is going to take up a lot of space) then don't tell them about the cutting oil that will splash on the floor. 110v 20-amp power will not do you will need 220V 30-amps. and a phase conveter as screw machines run 3 phase.
                            Don't give up on your hopes not being realistic. With the right training you can do anything. When I was your age I was in the US Army in Germany, there was a cook in the unit that went back to school when he got out then joined the Navy and wnet to flight school and retired as a Wing Commander. That is way I say With the right training you can do anything.

Comment

about how much does a B&S 00 weigh? What are the differences between it the 00 and the 00G?
                              KMFDM
                              Better Than The Best
                              Megalomaniacal
                              And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

I’m sure you will get all of your questions answered eventually, but I am supposing that most of us are still trying to figure out exactly why you would want a screw machine in the first place.
                                As HTRN explains, they are special purpose machines made for very large runs of parts. I would guess that you will be WAY better off finding a small lathe and playing around with that for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X