Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screw machine

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
    Yea ,you can be fascinated with them till you have to work on one,Oh and you better invest in Oil dry stock.</font>
    Truer words were never spoken.

HTRN

------------------
    This Old Shed
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Do you guys know of any screw machine shops near Greenfield, Indiana?

[This message has been edited by slayer666 (edited 08-17-2001).]
    KMFDM
    Better Than The Best
    Megalomaniacal
    And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

screw machine

Does anyone know what the smallest screw machine ever commercially manufactured is? Pics?
      KMFDM
      Better Than The Best
      Megalomaniacal
      And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Peterman springs to mind as they had a 5mm capacity machine,possibly a smaller version.
        Escomatic would be even smaller but worked of coil.Traub,Index,Bechler and Citizen might be candidates.
        regards,Mark.

Comment

I once saw a very old bench top sliding headstock (Swiss) screw machine. It's been so long ago to remember exactly, but I believe it was an Amereican made machine.

Less the motor (line shaft) it looked like something 2 guys could pick up.

This was part of a lobby display of a bolt company.

Comment

swiss turning machines will do some realy small work, some have spindles that run 9,000+ rpm.

many screwmachine shops do not care to run stock under 3/16" or 5 mm. so they pass the job on to shops with swiss machines. They tell you to run your wire some place else.

Comment

The machines used by J.I.Morris http://www.morris01550.com/ must be pretty dern small, as the largest screw they can make is 2-56.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I know for a fact that Citizen now makes a CNC swiss machine with a 4mm - I was standing next to it when I went for my B series maintanance certification.

9000 rpm is no big thing - the B5 I ran went to 12K and we used 11K as the default when doing 2 mm stock.

The "thick" one is 3mm

HTRN

------------------
                This Old Shed
                EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

The reason I asked is that I am looking for a small screw machine to screw (no pun intended) around with. The reason I need it to be small is that I am very limited in terms of space in my garage. I don't really need one, but would like to have one if I can one small enough.
                  KMFDM
                  Better Than The Best
                  Megalomaniacal
                  And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

DR,

Do you remember what the name of the bolt place is that you mentioned? Are they still in business? Contact info?
                    KMFDM
                    Better Than The Best
                    Megalomaniacal
                    And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Someone with their mind in the gutter could have lots of fun with this question about screw machines and size...
                      Precision takes time.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ringer:
                        Someone with their mind in the gutter could have lots of fun with this question about screw machines and size...</font>
                        (sarcasm on)No kidding? What an original idea.(sarcasm off)

Mark. Peterman was came to my mind too.There was a swiss shop in Elgin IL. that I visited once. 10,000 screws filled up 1/3 of a coffee can.

Slayer. any small swiss screw machine is going to have a footprint about the size of an office desk.

Comment

slayer666
                          The smallest Peterman that I have seen and run was 4mm. Strohm also made a 4mm. machine. Don't recall anything smaller than that. I whould not think of running a Escomatic in a garage to much oil mist to control. To do it in a garage you could cut the feed tube to use 6 foot bars as 12 foot is the normal length used. Don't know how much you know about Swiss Screw machines but it is a machine that takes some time to learn. I have been at it with Swiss Screw machines now for 38 years now. The last 18 years on Star CNC machines and still don't know it all. Good luck with whatever you do.

Comment

A brownie(B&S) A is about the size of a cedar chest Footprint but taller not counting the bar feeder.

------------------
                            The tame Wolf !

Comment

I'll give you a little background info on myself. I am a senior at Greenfield Central High School in Greenfield, Indiana. I am training to become a machinist. I am fairly new to screw machining (read never operated one).
                              KMFDM
                              Better Than The Best
                              Megalomaniacal
                              And Harder Than The Rest

Comment

Working...
                              X