Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?? Micro drilling stainless steel QUESTION??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? Micro drilling stainless steel QUESTION??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
    Tiny drills are made for drilling very thin materials.The next questiion would be; how do you center them? Almost any center drill is going to have a chisel point that is going to leave a flat an the bottom. No matter what the material you don't dare dwell at the bottom of the hole or the drill will instantly dull.You have to be careful of the coolant used so as not to accumulate chips and pack the hole and thus break the drill.
    </font>
    Thanks for the lesson, now let me give you one. Center drills are for making centers in a part that needs to be held on a live or dead center. Spot drills are for centering your hole before you drill it. Here is some miniture spot drills that I have used in the past, http://www.harveytool.com/products/product_detail.php ?product_id=11400&category_id=1&product_family=Min iature+Spot+Drills
    I looked at the spot these make under a microscope and they hardly make a flat at all. I would make sure my part is indicated in nice and flat, and then set the spot drill to go in .002", that way the top of the hole would have a nice small chamfer.

As for not dwelling at the bottom of the hole, all I can say is duh. I also use the same coolant whether or not I drill .015" holes on the cnc or drilling 1" holes, I just set it to take such small pecks that chip packing isn't an issue.

As for the other stuff you said, yeah small drills aren't usually made for going that deep, and to be honest I would turn down that job if anyone ever brought it in to my shop.

[This message has been edited by mochinist (edited 08-17-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
    Thanks for the lesson, now let me give you one. Center drills are for making centers in a part that needs to be held on a live or dead center. Spot drills are for centering your hole before you drill it. Here is some miniture spot drills that I have used in the past, http://www.harveytool.com/products/p...re+Spot+Drills
    I looked at the spot these make under a microscope and they hardly make a flat at all. I would make sure my part is indicated in nice and flat, and then set the spot drill to go in .002", that way the top of the hole would have a nice small chamfer.

As for not dwelling at the bottom of the hole, all I can say is duh. I also use the same coolant whether or not I drill .015" holes on the cnc or drilling 1" holes, I just set it to take such small pecks that chip packing isn't an issue.

As for the other stuff you said, yeah small drills aren't usually made for going that deep, and to be honest I would turn down that job if anyone ever brought it in to my shop.

[This message has been edited by mochinist (edited 08-17-2001).]
    </font>
    This was/is intended to help solve Yankees problem not get in a pissing match.
    You're welcome for the lesson. I've drilled a lot of holes in a lot of different materials, I'm sure you have too.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
      This was/is intended to help solve Yankees problem not get in a pissing match.
      You're welcome for the lesson. I've drilled a lot of holes in a lot of different materials, I'm sure you have too.

</font>
      I can piss farther than you

Comment

?? Micro drilling stainless steel QUESTION??

I am designing a specialty burner tip for a glass blowing torch. It is going to require drilling over ONE HUNDRED .003" & .004" holes .25 deep within a .850" diameter Stainless Steel face, in a special pattern. I will be producing 100 tips which equates to over 10,000 holes total. My plan right now is to experiment with the different SS steels to see which ones resist warping at temperature. My hope is that 416 annealed SS will work because of it's machinability, with 303 SU or 303 SE as backup materials.
        My question is, from someone else's experience would micro carbide drills break too easy, or would Cobalt drills be better because they are less brittle? Obviously I don't want to be spending mucho $ on the drills to be breaking them, or having to spend mucho time resharpening them due to drilling so many holes in the stainless.
        Has anybody ever used a drill/reamer combo in this micro size that would be the ticket?
        I have found Carbide reamer-drills for stainless but nothing smaller that 1/16".
        Any help out there? Thank you in advance.
        Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

There are outfits that specialize in perforated steel sheets. You can specify whatever patern you want and they can do quantity jobs very reasonably. A laser process I assume.

Comment

The first thing I'd suggest is to figure out a way to drastically reduce the hole depth. Anything over about 3X the drill diameter gets to be "deep hole drilling," and you're proposing to go 60X to 80X.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Basically you want to drill a hole the thicknesss of a human hair, a 1/4 of an inch deep. Not really the material or thickness for such small drills. I bet this would be a perfect application for a laser or a water jet if they have orifices that small.

Comment

Are you planning on doing this on a manual machine, or a cnc? Also if you can resharpen .003" drill, let me bow down to you now, my eyes are pretty good and I have a steady hand, but I think I would toss a .003"drill before I would attempt sharpening it.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
                  Are you planning on doing this on a manual machine?</font>
                  Yep. Manual LAGUN with a Bison SuperSpacer and a DRO for bolt patterns. I will make the outer ring pattern first. Then program the next smaller diameter and reduced number of holes. Of course I would drill all parts with one specific bolt pattern, then reduce the diameter & pattern and drill the others, lather, rinse, repeat.
                  I haven't figured out the sharpening of the .003" drills yet though.

Comment

"It is going to require drilling over ONE HUNDRED .003" & .004" holes .25 deep within a .850" diameter Stainless Steel face, in a special pattern."

Forget it.

I would back up and think about this situation.

What about a piece of micro fine screen. Can be had in stainless?

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 03-03-2006).]
                    Gene

Comment

Not going to work. Those sort of holes would be made with electron beam drilling which has been around for 50 years.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I suppose brass is out of the question? I have drill many carb idle, main, and air jet blanks in my time and find it rather easy with brass. As for 303 I just got done machining a part with it and so far it is my favorite stainless to drill. Do you have enough spindle speed for such small drills? Sounds like a pain on a manual machine, you have much more patience than I. On the other hand I doubt my CNC can feed SLOW enough to drill with bits that small. FWIW about deep hole drilling, I drilled a 0.500" hole through a 14" piece of 303 on my last project on my lathe as a pilot for a 1.250" hole, both holes where drilled dry and went perfect. I'd suggest HSS or cobalt, probably flood it real good as well.

------------------
                        -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Based on the replies from those more experienced than I, perhaps that is why this new torch design has not been explored.
                          "Forget it."
                          "Not going to work."
                          "I would back up and think about this situation."

However I am rather stubborn and known for my resourcefulness. I'll keep working on it.
                          If anybody else has additional suggestions please submit them.

Comment

Its not impossible, just highly improbable that you will be able to drill all of those holes in a single piece of stainless without breaking a bit off in the hole. Then the odds of you getting it out without damaging the piece are near zero. Farm it out to a laser cutting outfit is proabably the best idea.
                            James Kilroy

Comment

When I said forget it. I meant what you are trying to do.

That's the drilling of that small a hole in that material and especially that thick.

What if the material was much thinner?
                              Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X