height gage/gauge which one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• height gage/gauge which one

My friend bought a nice digital twelve inch height gage (USA) or gauge (U.K).He swears by it said it was the best آ£120 pounds he ever spent.Chronos uk has a twelve inch chinese one much the same as my friends at the moment for آ£65*approx http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Height...QQcmdZViewItem
    I have a small one non digital and have been offered a nice big heavy one non digital for آ£25 but the old eyes are renaging against such a purchase although with abit of effort I could do it with glasses.Any helpful suggestions would be most greatfully received thanks Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Hi Alistair,

You can buy an a lot of magnifying glasses for آ£40 You could even set up a TV camera and view the dial on a TV screen.

The older one is probably much higher quality, if current observations are of any value.

------------------
    Leigh W3NLB
    Leigh
    The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
    of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Alistair:
      Greetings.There are several advantages to the digital units.
      1) you can reset you zero point ie use the top edge of your part as your reference.
      2)Or you can reset after measurements in other words use it incrementaly insead of absolute.
      3)Also they are set up to go from metric to english(sae)units at the press of a button.
      4) easier to read
      I use a dial height gage myself but have a couple of sets of import digital calipers and an electronic indicator.I have not had any real problems with them. The calipers have been in use about three years now and still working . A year of that was 4 days a week in a proffesional machine shop. The battery has been repaced 4-5 times and a small plastic part broke off. So IMO the electronic import units give good service fo the money.
      Tin
      POI for the guys this side of the pond Harbor freight has their 8" digital height gage on sale for $79.99(No I am not endorsing them)
      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Thanks Tin I think I am a bit afraid of the normal non digital because of lack of use/knowledge but the digital is my preferred idea. Is this a good price? I don't reckon it's half price as they state more or less.I have seen a few digital mititoyo's go second hand for about the new price of the chinese one .regards guys Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Alistair:
          Have not shopped or researched these but the 65 pounds seems about right. Like I mentioned before Harbor Freight has a similar one in 8" for $ 79.99 US and $119.99 for the 12" not sure of the current exchange rate but seems reasonable. If you can find a used mitutoyo that could be good to.If you go the used route make shure it has all the parts. It is not a bargain if you have to search for and buy missing pieces.
          The height gage works very similar to a caliper of like design ie verier dial or digital. The exception is the pair of lock knobs and the fine adjustent feature.Not hard to use. A dial style would likely be ok for you also but I would not recomend a verier type. It is good to know how to use them but they are a PITA to use compared to the others.
          Tin
          Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Working...
          X