X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn a drill press into a mill

do you have a link to the article

turn a drill press into a mill

i have done some reacherch and i have come to the conclusion that i am going to use a drill press to turn it imnto a mill .Many peoople think that the spindal is to week and doesnt have a draw bar or a taprerd spindLe. But i have come up with a new design to this drillpress mill i was going to machine a new spindial to hold hudge roller bearings and make a new draw bar to hold a half inch end mill adaptor .During this building time i am taking pictures and i even want to start a website and a form simmilar to this ..

So i was wonder ing to ALLLT HE VIEWEREs what do you think of this whole project and the succes rate

Thanks

Comment

Ever hear the one about a "snowball in hell"?, Taking into account the reasonable price of imported mills. it begs the question "why"?
      "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

It sound like you are building a mill, not a drillpress.

why not just buy a mill? you will want power downfeed, depth stop and the other goodies to have a good mill.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 02-25-2006).]

Comment

jarr88:

Succes in the home shop is measured in may ways. Succes in the market place is measured in only one way at the end of the day.

I have seen, in person and on the web, "mills" that have been made from drill presses, woodworking lathe headstocks, ShopSmith type machines, and woodworking morticers. Some of the builders/owners are happier that others with the result.

If your are making this machine because you want to, some of the "best ideas" come from someone "just foolin' around" in the shop. I wish you a good build, with fun and learning.
          The pictures with clear explainations are always welcome, even if the end result is a "failure" the machining and problem solving is always interesting to me.

------------------
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

thats a grand idea, do not let anyone tell you diferently. People like you with drive and ambition helped make this country what it is today. I am building a wire EDM out of old bicycle parts and wornout aluminum foil hats.

Comment

"wornout aluminum foil hats."

Umm....do they wear out?

Please tell me they dont.

Comment

goatherd:

Are you a snow goat that came south for the winter?

I think the jarr88 be one of them foreign, international type lads, that might make his country great by using Robertson screws

------------------

Comment

"Helped make this country what it is today"

I.m not sure that is a good recommendation anymore, it was once. Gone but not forgotten.
                  "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jarr88:
                    During this building time i am taking pictures

So i was wonder ing to ALLLT HE VIEWEREs what do you think of this whole project and the succes rateThanks
                    </font>
                    I love pictures. Success? That can only be determined by you. Success is achieving your goals, make some goals.

I think the project is a good HSM project and especially if you have the parts on the shelf already. Looking forward to the progress reports....JRouche

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Didn't Evan mill on his drill press? Of course, it weighs 3000lbs. or something like that.

Comment

goatherd, that cracked me up, thx

viewers of what?!?! where's the design we're to critic?

what research? generally the more people know about this proposition, the more they realize its a lousy idea - hey prove us wrong, post the design!

seriously though, if get to the point of understanding what is require in a mill and what is available with a drill, it is not compelling to build a forum around, much less a machine. What are the specs on the bearings you are using?

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 02-26-2006).]

Comment

A waste of breath

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 03-09-2006).]
                          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

to clear things up i am using the drill press housing to build around a cnc machine there for the x/y table is going to be about 18 inches by 2 1/2 feet long built out of i inch pipes

-the beRINGS I AM USING ARE ROLLER

This mill will be used to cut aluminum and soft materials and will be manual too.

I will post pictures a.s.a.p. to prove you all wrong

Comment

It can be done and I have done it. However, my drill press is a Strands and it uses the same head and spindle as a very similar milling machine made by Arboga. It has a very large tapered roller bearing on the bottom end of the spindle and can take the side forces. The equivalent new model as mine, which hasn't changed much, costs over $3000.

An ordinary run-of-the-mill drill press simply won't work as a mill.

"Evan is building a mill on a big heavy ol' drill press"

Huh? No I'm not. I set up the drill press for milling quite a while ago. The mill I am building now has nothing to do with that.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 02-26-2006).]
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X