Laser Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Levels

While at the HF store, I saw that they have Laser Levels on sale for $25. This is not the one on a little tripod, this one has three bubble levels to and a laser.
    I figure to use to level things up in the shop, especially around the mill.
    I don't have a lot of experience in this concept. My experience is with a "dumpy level" and then in to GPS teletemtry equipment.

Jerry

We had one, once, at a place I used to work. It was off by about 3/8" in a 4 foot span.

Comment

I was told by the owner of a tool store that the cheap laser levels were not very good and that if I was going to get one to bite the bullet and spend the money and get a good one. A good one would cost about $125 or more.
      Charlie
      Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
      http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Ouch!!

Comment

I'll tell you they work well on.
          Hanging suspended ceiling rails!

Took a 3 foot long piece of music wire(.045?).
          Slipped a coller(w/setscrew)on it and silver soldered a small brass ring on both ends.
          drove a nail in the ceiling joist at the very center of the room and hooked the top ring in it.
          Hung a nice round 2 gallon water bucket on the lower ring and filled the bucket with water. What you have now is a very plumb line! and the weight of the water keeps everything straight but offers no resistance to turning because the water stays stationary if the bucket spins.I call it mass without torque !
          Set the collar to the height desired , and lightly clamp the lazer light horizontally to the music wire , letting it rest on the stop,and spin it. walk around and mark a perfectly level mark on the walls!
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

I setup an interferometor (I think thats how is spelled) and shined my HF laser at it. a one meter I was on the mark, the project was still round. At 4 meters, it was a little low and to the right, about 4.7mm off center.
            My idea is simple get a cube with a hole trhu it at the same height at the beam (center of it) put the laser on one end and the cube on the other. adjusted until you can see the light coming thru the cube. I would know that it is straight then.

Jerry and Sam the Shop Cat

Comment

Tear it apart and mount it on your twelve gauge for "house clearing" - naw, who needs a stinking laser to "house clean" anyway!

Maybe we should mount one on a "swiffer" and charge $300 to the government for a laser guided mop.

Comment

Thrud,
                Government has a laser for the 12 gauge in it's inventory, but Swiffer sounds like a great idea. Lets make some an impress a few congressmen with it, take orders for 10 million units, at $9,000 each (can't let the toilet seat folks get all of the money) Retire and put the money in an off shore account, live happily ever after.

Sounds like a plan.

Jerry

Comment

Thrud,
                  Government has a laser for the 12 gauge in it's inventory, but Swiffer sounds like a great idea. Lets make some an impress a few congressmen with it, take orders for 10 million units, at $9,000 each (can't let the toilet seat folks get all of the money) Retire and put the money in an off shore account, live happily ever after.

Sounds like a plan.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry
                    I have an even better idea - something for the ladies to buy their men. Laser Guided Boxer Shorts/G-strings/Bikinis for use in the bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                    X