New to the board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join.
    A little about myself: I'm 25, I was a mechanic for 6 years at Toyota and GM, now I run the Technical support department for an automotive brake parts manufacturer. I got into road racing (the legal kind) about 2 years ago and built a VW GTI for the track. I'm now getting to the point where I need to start redesigning systems instead of just installing better parts to stay ahead of the competition....which is why I am here. About a month ago I picked up a HF 7x12 mini lathe, then the cheapo 4x6 bandsaw, then after playing with the lathe for about 2 weeks I decided I could no longer go through life without a mill, so I bought the HF mini-mill. I have figured out the basics, and turned a bunch of perfectly good metal into worthless scraps in the process, but I'm learning. If theres any tips you have for a newbie like me, they will be appreciated.

Two things- first your next purchase should be a foundry so you can turn all that scrap back into good material

Next, welcome to the nuthouse. As you know, you can learn lots of things here, like child raising, how cold it is in Juno, how to solve the worlds problems, and oh yeah, stuff about metalworking.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Welcome lbhgti:

I'll remember free advice for you if I don't forget, it is a little late for me now.

------------------
      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Welcome to the smouldering cauldron! Get used to the rhetoric. Have fun

------------------
        BFH

Comment

lbghti:
          Welcome to the board. Looks like you are off to a good start. I have similar machines in my shop. For starters check out www.littlemachineshop.com take a good look at the info center and learning center. They have manuals for your machines written in english that you can download.IMHO HF manuals tend to have more disclaimers than real info.
          Tin
          Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

lbghti:
            Welcome to the board. Looks like you are off to a good start. I have similar machines in my shop. For starters check out www.littlemachineshop.com take a good look at the info center and learning center. They have manuals for your machines written in english that you can download.IMHO HF manuals tend to have more disclaimers than real info.
            Tin
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Welcome, Listen,learn and you'll be fine.

------------------
              The tame Wolf !

Comment

bhgti,

"QUOTE"
                "Welcome, Listen,learn and you'll be fine.
                ------------------
                The tame Wolf !"

You may even be able to contribute something!

Kap

Comment

AHHH good.. You guys are a welcoming bunch.

I've already found a bunch of resources on my toy machines, and I've called up littlemachineshop.com for all little parts that have rattled off the lathe and disappeared into oblivion. This place looks like fun.

Comment

Put on a pair of really high boots and jump right in!

Comment

ib, welcome aboard. the natives are restless as you can see, but don't let that put you off, lots of good peeps here, just that some have never read Dale Carnegie

Comment

Working...
                      X