Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes it was an E-Bay scam (from another post by CCWKen )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes it was an E-Bay scam (from another post by CCWKen )

I'll just post the original thread to start this so everyone doesn't have to read the OT part of it.
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/015127.html
    I have been "outing" numerous scammers on E-Bay recently so I decided to follow up on this post. CCW Ken said he smelled something fishy about this E-Bay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    I contacted the winner of this auction and asked him about the transaction. He said the seller only wanted him to pay for the item before offering any shipping information. The buyer told the seller he would put the money in an ESCROW account until he received it. The seller, Dinomass222333, quit responding.
    I also contacted the winning bidder of another item Dinomass auctioned
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7574683734
    That Auction winner said he was tipped off by another E-Bayer that that auction was also a scam. Although the sale price was $11,700 the seller never contacted the winning bidder. Both victims said they contacted E-Bay to report the scam, but they were told that since Dinomass rescinded his E-Bay registration there was no way anybody could leave negative feedback.
    In the past 3 weeks I have seen a new E-Bay scam emerge, growing in sophistication.
    A scammer was using a valid E-Bay members account, all with 100% feedback, to sell expensive Leica Geovid Rangefinder binoculars. The scammer would give an e-mail contact link in the description to ask questions and left instructions NOT to use the "Ask the seller a question" link in the auction. The scammer hijacked 11 accounts that I know about and placed the 'New' Leica's on sale for $500 apiece (Retail is $2400).
    On one of the auctions the item location was listed as being in Macon, GA.
    I posed as a buyer and said I lived just outside Macon and would like to buy 2 units on the spot after I inspected them. I received a response through the scam e-mail link that the items were actually in Europe but he would make me a deal on 2 units if I could pay by Western Union, and of course the shipping would be free. What a guy!
    I contacted every one of the 11 e-Bay victims and asked them if they were actually selling the Leica's. They said they weren't and they were victims of account theft since they normally didn't sell anything like the items in the auctions. I contacted E-Bay SafeHarbor and notified them of the scam, the victims identities, and the scammers' used e-mail links (there were 5 different scam e-mail links) on SafeHarbor's typical non-userfriendly e-mail. 3 days later I got a boiler plate response yadda-yadda etc, "Thank you for your response, we are trying our best etc, without addressing the actual questions or facts I presented.
    2 days later I found more Leica's on sale, with the same kind of description and price. Only this time they had created a link to themselves with the "Ask the seller a question" link in the auction and the scammer was using different victim accounts. SO the suspicious e-mail link in the description was gone. When I responded as a buyer in the "ask the seller a question" link I got the scammer. When I used separate links through E-Bay to reach the victim E-Bay account holders, they were shocked and said they too were also victims. All victims so far are furious with E-Bay because nobody in Safe Harbor notified the victims they were being scammed, and their only notification was from me. I listed each victim in my notification to Safe Harbor and they still weren't contacted by an investigator 2 weeks into this. Several of the victims changed their user names. I also contacted the bidders that these auctions were receiving.
    The scams are getting more and more sophisticated, and E-Bays security SUCKS.
    I received a "Survey" from E-Bay asking me what I thought of their response to my scam report. I told them what I thought of them.
    In each of my E-Mails to Safe Harbor I asked that an investigator contact me personally by phone so I could explain the whole scam. It has been more than 2 weeks now and still no phone call. IMHO this is going to bring E-Bay to its knees.
    I am extremely wary about buying items on auction now. The legitimate sellers get annoyed about my contacts with them until I tell them of the scam sophistication.
    I suggest that everybody change their passwords routinely, directly through the E-Bay home page from their official website, and check their own accounts for items that are listed for sale that you ain't sellin'
    Anyway, I hope this helps.
    Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Good lookin out Yank... Nice to know there are still folks around willing to spend some time and effort to expose a crook..

As screwed up as ebay's staff is I would not be surprised if they revoke your membership for causing them any additional work.

All they want to do is rake in the "listing fee" and "final value fees" without pissing off their sellers, screw the buyers seems to be their motto....JRouche
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to mention. I got a warning from E-Bay for contacting so many members outside of any auctions. They said, "This type of activity of contacting E-Bay members outside of any auctions is typical of fraudulent buyers/sellers."
      Maybe they will take away my birthday. Whadya think?

Comment

E-bay has a bunch of scammers, look at this crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Good Grief.

Comment

yes, this type of scam is definitely increasing in occurrence in recent weeks. they're using all them damn accounts they got from phishing people with the phony password validation emails.

first time i saw it was someone trying to sell a nokia cellphone and handheld internet browser thing that wasn't even released yet. i contacted nokia and they said that prototypes hadn't even been released yet, so the ones the dude was peddling were obviously a scam.
            -paul

Comment

Ahhhhh... thank you very much Yankee!

Now I know why I keep getting e-mails from Ebay members wanting to know"when are you going to ship my I-pod?" or "I have paid you as instructed,now send me my stuff".

Only trouble is,I have 100% feedback and I don't sell I-pods and never will.

Thanks again.I'm off to change my password.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Someone once tried to sell a motorcycle on my account. Ebay caught it and let me know, but it was kinda weird.
                You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

just like this:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5646%26fvi%3D1

Comment

Heh. I guess my "forensic" photo analysis of the photo of that mill was correct.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I was looking for a handheld GPS unit did a search on "garmin gpsmap" and the search was clogged with sales from China. Each was from a different seller. Each seller had feed back of plus 10 to plus 12. All of the feed back for each seller had been received within a few hours of each other. All of feedback members were no longer resgistered and each of these non regsistered members had feed back of 10 to 12. And all of these exmembers had cryptic usernames similar to the seller. I sent an email explaining all this to ebay and they said they did not see a problem (however they removed the one example I provided). So I supplied more details (as requested). I got a response from ebay China (that my browser could not display properly) and I could not read. There security does not impress me. The last time I checked these were still clogging the category.

All the bidders on these items were from newbies with feed back of 0 or 1 each who will all report what a bummer ebay is. I do not know why they will not protect their bread and butter. Ebay needs to vigoursly prosecute a few of these users.

Comment

ebay was ruined when it's stock went way high, and they got very very very very greedy. I am really bummed out that they bought 25% of craigslist, because they will destroy it. if you know ebay at all, you can see why they will wreck craigslist any way they can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist

Comment

Well they must get THOUSANDS of emails a day about scammers and they most likely do not have any where near the number of security personel needed to handle all the requests.
                          Public companies only care about the stock holders, the stock holders only care about the stock going up and the big trading houses only care about making money from the stock with it either going up or going down, which way does not matter. If they think the stock will go down, they will bet on it and not give a flying crap about the company or its employees. Just numbers changing on the computer screen. The customers? who cares about them?

Comment

Working...
                          X