New toy - older than me, but it sure is shiney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:

You know, I could of sworn I read somewhere on that page those were from ww2, and I totally skipped over the 1956 part.
    </font>
    The obvious clue is the color. I don't think anybody anywhere was painting machinery in that drive-in-special green in 1945. That's a genuine "warm-up for the 1957 Edsel"-type color. Or a Stratocaster surf-music color. Ouch.

Comment

Had I got to it before you did and had some spare coin in my jeans this would be my post and not yours Neat find and I'll bet you'll be entertained for hours! Can I get on your estate sale mailing list ??
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

That is one of the coolest looking machines I have seen in a long time. It even beats the infrared mass spectrometer that I gained for free after it fell off the back of a truck while being moved.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

So what's the principle of operation then ?
          Is it a hobber, or does it do one tooth per cut ?

I have a similar sized Swiss Mikron 112 hobber.

Phil

Comment

I'm not sure how a "hobber" is different, but this is a "one tooth per cut" machine. It loads the part from a "magazine" of blanks, then cuts a single tooth with a rotating cutter by traversing the table the spindle rides on. A cam-pushrod getup then lifts the spindle, then a lever rolling on a cam reaches the part of the cam where it allows the table (and the spindle on it) to retracts back to the other end of the pinions "axle". There are then 2 indexing plates - one holds the pinion's "spindle" in place during cutting (it get's released at this time) and the other gets grabbed by a little pawl that rotates it by one tooth. The pawl stops, the larger indexing disk is again locked into position, and the table advances along so the spindle can cut the next tooth. After the newly-cut pinion has made one full revolution, it's done, and another mechanical trip point is reached. The clutch on the big pulley is released and a brake is engaged. Then the feed mechanism ejects the new part and another is loaded up. The brake is released and the clutch re-engages, and a new part gets started up. It then repeats.

It's hard as hell to explain clearly. That's why I want to get a video of it all running. I've run the two main mechanisms "semi-manually" using a cordless drill and a little v-belt I had lying around. It's just neat to watch, and I have the greatest respect for those that designed this kind of thing. How cool it must have been to work in the prototyping machine shop that developed this thing.

Now, I have to get busy on the secondary shaft and pulley fabrication...

-M
            The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Shame it doesn't have any cool rust to clean up

Cool find! Keep us posted on your progress with it.
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Hoffman, I actually thought of you as I was cleaning it up. I knew you'd be disappointed.

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

I think I'd have to put something that nice in my living room. Very cool!

Comment

did a search on the company,looks like they manufacture equipment for clock making.price for their tooling is, price on request,which means expensive! nice find.

------------------
                    rick
                    rick

Comment

Mark,
                      Outstanding find.

I was just thinking that I agree with X39 that I'd display it in the living room when a BIG mouthfull of iced tea decided to find the "wrong hole". Too busy thinking about neat machine tools to take a decent swig of tea. Luckily it was unsweetened so the cleanup around the computer shouldn't be too bad.

Again, outstanding find worthy of an appropriate response.

Todd.

Todd Snouffer
                      Littlelocos Model Engineering
                      www.LittleLocos.com

Comment

Just by way of keeping this thread alive (and visible), I have come across some more info on the vintage of this machine. Some of the drawings in the service packet are dated June 1952. So although it's still not WWII production vintage, it's closer. It's probably more of an early Cold War thing, when we were gearing up against possible attack by the evil empire.

-M

Comment

Wow to the power of ten.
                          Does every thing move when its on the job and what sort of noise does ir make.
                          Bobby.
                          boef

Comment

What a gorgeous hunk of apparatus. Goes to show that good design is immediately reflected in its impact on the naive observer.

Did it come with a set of indexing and lead gears in all numbers from 20 to 100 including primes above 100 to 131? The manuals and tables? Hob arbors? If you did you really and truly scored.

Comment

Well, I've updated my page on the Bechler. It's running now, and cool to watch. I've got a pretty good understanding of it's workings, but I've still got things to fabricate for it. This will keep me busy for some time...

Bechler Simplex, ready to run

Comment

Congrats on the gear cutter!
                                Sounds like mucho fun in store....

Comment

Working...
                                X