Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOJack? Viper? Anybody a auto alarm expert? OT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOJack? Viper? Anybody a auto alarm expert? OT?

I am looking at alarms. I know what I want, know what I can afford.

What is the best deal out? I want the truck to tell me it's whereabouts on demand. OR alarm to page me.

HOW about a dial up on a cell phone? anyone know how they work?

David
    Excuse me, I farted.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5000.htm

This is the one I am looking at..

RIGHT NOW.. I need advice before I lay out cash. I just put a stereo in the lowrider, came out of the hospital a month back to find several young black boys around my truck. It did not have a stereo in it then, but it looks like a kids truck, them bump bump boxes are pricy.
    THE other truck will need a gps too.

http://www.accutracking.com/

[This message has been edited by David E Cofer (edited 03-16-2006).]
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I know this does not help but, if they want it, they will take it no matter what. But you already know that.

I have heard that a thief now days expects any nice car to have lojack. Probably knows a way around it now.

This is my understanding of lojack. It sends out a signal that can be picked up by a receiver. How it is triggered I dont know. But, the cops (or the fellow that is tracking the car) needs to have the responder within about a mile. Then, they drive around till the signal gets strong. Once close, they can get a direction on it and narrow it down to about 10 ft.

Now, it has been a while since I saw the program on tv about this. I'm sure things have changed. Heck, they put lojack on everything from backhoes to school busses now.

They may indeed have a GPS tied into a cellphone so that your car can call you and tell you where it is. IF it is able. Maybe the thief wraps the car in tinfoil to block the signal. Remember all the rumors about tinfoil confusing radar guns? Ha!

Word on the streets is that most of the stolen cars now days go straight to the shipping yards, get placed into a container and onto a ship. Only takes an hour or so to get them out of the country. (if your near a shipping port) Supposedly they get shipped to South America and the middle east.

Park the truck inside the dogs area. That will scare most off. Then again, they may do something bad to your dog if they want the truck bad enough. Maybe a bad idea.

rock-

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 03-16-2006).]
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I figure the best way is to put an electronic siren INSIDE the vehicle that will make your ears bleed. Don't forget to turn it off.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Lojack has to be activated. It is activated when you report your car stolen. Once activated it sends out a signal which is received by police cars and aircraft. The aircraft are always getting hits due to the altitude, I believe the signal is line of sight.

Problem with lojack is your car is already stolen and possibly vandalized. If you are late in reporting due to being away or whatever then that is longer the crooks have your ride.
          JRouche
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The alarm system in my store has a 10" 130 db horn pointed right at the main area of the shop. 120db is the threshold of pain and believe me, you don't feel like sticking around when it goes off.

Comment

A lot of the construction equipment now has "lojac" on it now. The thieves just park it somewhere in "public" that they can keep an eye on it, when no one shows up in a few days they figure they are "safe". Not the same market as a stolen car.

------------------
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

I had thought, incorrectly perhaps, that the early versions of LoJack were simply an embedded pager. All it does is disable the car when the "page" is received.

LoJack is two-way, but I thought it was based on pager technology. For a long time, Motorola made a product called Create-A-Link for this. The original was one way only, but CreateALink II is two way. It's based on the same technology as two-way pagers and uses the Flex paging protocol.

When I was looking into it, the starting cost for the board and development stuff for it was under $200. Additional transceivers were around $90, IIRC. There are maybe one or two digital outputs and and RS232 port.

Marry one of those to an embedded GPS, and you have it. Interrogate it and it tells you where your vehicle is. Whenever you feel like it, command it to shut off the car.

The only additional cost would be activation of 2-way paging service.

Wasn't (or isn't) something like this used by some trucking fleets? I know that many of them use satellite based systems for data link and tracking to the vehicles, but I thought someone used this more primitive system for data logging and other simple things like LoJack-like functions.

Uh oh - another project for David? Instead of just an ignition shutoff, he can install a hydraulic ram under the dash to kneecap potential theives. Ideas here folks?

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

My boss put an alarm pager on his Isuzu NPR box truck,got it from JC Whitney,it works,told him when his side window got busted out in time to see the perps leave the scene.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by David E Cofer:
                    http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5000.htm

This is the one I am looking at..
                    </font>
                    David my neighbour across the street has that exact unit, and I have a almost identical unit, made by clifford though. We are both happy with the system, and as a added benefit the remote start kiscks ass. In the winter I start up my truck from my breakfast table and I have a nice warm truck when I get in, and in the summer I do the same for the AC.

Like other said though, if they really want it and are good enough they will probably get it, AZ is one of the top spots for car theft if not the top spot, and I have had one truck stolen,they were punk gangbangers though, not pros, they just went for a joyride and beat the hell out of the truck.

Comment

Wirecutter:

I was thinking more of the Taser deal.

Flop, wobble, flop.

Things are coming together, I have picked out the electric window units for the truck, the electric door poppers, the exhaust stacks, the flame throwers, the House of Kolor paint hue, the engine to start with, and how to rig it up to change engines in about a hour. I am looking into PTo's for the front and rear. Probably hydraulic motors. A HYD reserve front bumper of a six inch pipe w/1"tube wrap arounds to match that crazy curve. Perhaps another with air in it undeneath.

I stopped by to bother the machinist doing my block work on the magic motor. Looking good. It'll never the same again thou. I think we washed the magic off it in the hot tank.

I found a Pro-edge alarm.. $399.. the local shop quoted me $800 for the same model. That seems a little unfair.
                      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

http://www.aprs.net/
                        If you don't mind getting a free license
                        and soldering a bit can run up to 1500 watts

Comment

Dave what about rigging up something like a solenoid to the ring of Pepper gas cannister? Put it on a relay in the starter circuit with a timer. 15 seconds after the car starts, if it isn't disabled, fills the car with pepper spray...

------------------
                          This Old Shed
                          EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HTRN:
                            Dave what about rigging up something like a solenoid to the ring of Pepper gas cannister? Put it on a relay in the starter circuit with a timer. 15 seconds after the car starts, if it isn't disabled, fills the car with pepper spray...</font>
                            Hmmm. Be careful, of course. I've actually set off my car alarm by accident a couple of times - once inside my garage. That thing is painfully loud up close and in an enclosed space. I'd sure hate to taser myself.

(flop, wobble, flop)

Maybe you could put photos of you and butch in the window as a deterrent?

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

"Maybe you could put photos of you and butch in the window as a deterrent? "

Yeah, naked should do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X