Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning an Old Lathe (Pics)

Original Auction Pic:

I finally got a chance to do some cleaning of the old Atlas/Craftsman Lathe I picked up a few weeks ago. It all started with the motor bracket. I cleaned it then went on to the pulley bracket. It didn't take long before I was thinking; "If I take this off, it would be easier to clean".

I had to remove this to get to that and might as well pull this other part and wash the bushings out. I just gotta clean the headstock gears so out came the bearings (Dated 2-23-40). I'm thinking that I can't just leave the bed filled with 66 year old grease either so I used paint stripper on it.

Dang! That's purdy! :O So, I stripped the headstock too. One thing lead to another and before long, I was left with a cart full of parts and a table of stuff ready to paint.

I shot color today and will start the reassembly tomorrow. This isn't the original color but darn close to it. I didn't like the purplish blue anyway. The lights make it look a little darker than it is but it's a close match without having the fluorescent hue of the original.

All I was going to do was clean it and oil it! Just be careful when you start cleaning something. You might end up with a room full of parts too.

Nice job Ken!

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 03-07-2006).]

Comment

Good job so far,Cant wait to see it done.

------------------
      The tame Wolf !

Comment

I usually get to that point, then get "distracted" for a few years, wonder where all the parts got stored, and how the heck it goes back together, because I can't find the notes/photos when I took the "thing" apart.

Hope you do better than I manage to do

------------------
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TECHSHOP:
          I usually get to that point, then get "distracted" for a few years, wonder where all the parts got stored, and how the heck it goes back together, because I can't find the notes/photos when I took the "thing" apart.
          </font>
          Aw, c'mon, TECH - That's where the adventure and learning experience come in. Besides, when it goes back together, there are those bonus "extra parts" for the bin!

CCW -
          That's nice work, and I understand completely how it all comes about. Been there, probably broke something, too.

My latest adventure, the Swiss gear machine, is just like that, but the "dirt" I'm going after is all the cosmoline. I swear, they must have dipped it in a tank full of the stuff.

Trouble is, I have a minimum of documentation on this thing. This means that I have to take it apart and put it back together in one sitting - otherwise I might forget some critical part and screw up my shiny new toy.

Man, I really need to post some pics of this thing...

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Exciting!
            I figure sometimes its worth it...if you want to do something right you got to take the whole darn thing apart and rebuild it etc. Ends up being more satisfying in the end anyway. I have to admit i am looking forward to seeing it all reassembled and painted!

Comment

CCWKEN

You have been victimized by what Patrick McManus calls "The Theory of a Sequential Vortex"----you were drawn into it and couldn't escape!! LOL!

Comment

I'm eager to see it put back together. It'll look great I'm sure. But when it looks nice, you'll be spending more time cleaning it after using it.

Cheers!
                Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

Nice work. I always wondered why I never "cleaned" up my 10 Atlas lathe. Now I know. What'd you oaint it with?
                  Doug Arthurs
                  Kent bridge, Ontario
                  www.irontoart.com

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irontoart:
                    What'd you paint it with?</font>
                    Dupont automotive paint, of course.

By the way, do you need a 10" follower rest? I'm about to ebay it. I had to buy a lot (auction) to get the 12" I needed. The 10 is near perfect condition and doesn't show any use.

Comment

bump till I see the finished product

Lookin real good so far!

Comment

BTW...What process did you use to get the leadscrew and rack gear to look so good? They look new!

Comment

CCWKEN
                          I'm in about the exact same spot with a Atlas 618. Box of small clean parts, freshly painted castings. Going to refit and reassemble the carriage tonight. That will leave only the headstock to do.
                          also have a 10F that is a partial thing, am about to ebay it whole or in part, probably apart since it's mostly thataway already.

Be sure to post pics when you have it together.

Comment

No update pictures but I did get the bed, headstock, tail stock and most of the carriage put together. I'm waiting on an eBay purchase to finish the carriage and apron. It should be in tomorrow or Friday.

I have to make a new counter shaft to finish the motor mount. Well, I don't have to but since I have it apart and the old one is a little worn... Sucked into the Vortex again. I'll take some pics in the morning and post 'em in the evening.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Schutzhund:
                            BTW...What process did you use to get the leadscrew and rack gear to look so good? They look new!
                            </font>
                            A good cleaning, a light hand on a fine wire wheel and touch on the polisher. Every screw, nut, bolt and handle was done the same way.

Comment

Looking good there CCW.
                              Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Working...
                              X