Other Halfs and Girlfriends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Halfs and Girlfriends

If I had both I would be in trouble, but I only one. She is a nice lady, wonder person, cares a lot about things, puts up with the cat and especially puts up with me.

When she gets on me about my shop or projects, I always have some to hand her and she shuts up for a while.

She is really beautiful lady, doesn't have to work at being thin, and comes from Calgary.

I have learned to say yes dear a lot, and that seems to work.

Jerry

ps I am making her a necklace for her with a few handcut stones in it for Christmas.

Sounds like a good deal, just out of curiosity, how far from the house is the shop? I am working on cohabitation theory, right now the eqation that I am working on, annual average temp./distance of shop from house/ No. of "surprise" visits/ level of tension with better half..

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Samuel

Comment

Samuel,
      My shop or studios as the art community calls it is in my 3,200 sq ft house. The 2 and 1/2 car garge is my hot shop, forge, anvils, welding equipment, bead blaster, my big compressor, buff wheels, etc.
      The basement is a my machine shop area, the place where I do my micro work, fine metal work, jewelry work and leather work. I still have the washer/dryer area, lots of storage space and loads of living area that does not reveal the other areas. My office space can be used as a bed room, I have a spare bedroom, and the mother-in-law suite can be go from artist area and library back to a bedroom.
      My girl friend understands that I work at home, and has accepted that fact. She just wants to know how I built this shop and made it so space effeciate at the same time. The answer, almost everything is on wheels. Some things can be, so thaey are anchored to a wall and the floor, and I work around them for tother processes and things.
      A good piece of advise, take a jewelry making class some where, then you can justify to her the whole thing.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Comment

If you want it interesting, try working for the other half, in her machine shop.
        It actually works out very well for us as we make a good team. She runs the office and handles all bidding and ordering and I get to handle production and manage the shop.
        Then there have also been the times we have worked side by side all night long in the shop to get a rush job done.
        I generally get no questions when I say we need this tooling or that machine. I go to auctions and buy tooling and machines and only occasionally get questions about why I bought something.
        She doesn't want any machines at home as she says I have a complete shop and all day long to work on my projects when I want to do something.
        I guess I have it pretty darn good.
        Les

Comment

Les,
          You do have it good. My girlfriend is an evironmental engineer. She works where she is needed, sometimes I go along to some her job sites.
          Mine is a great looking 35 year old brunette. Who doesn't mind what I do, so long as it's something I like to do. She remebers when I used to who at the university and didn't like my position that well.

Jerry

Comment

When I go to buy a tool (which doesn't happen often anymore)she always tells me "don't screw around and be cheap get the best so we don't have to worry about it breaking or not working right". When she complains about me working too much I adjust the speed making more noise so I can't hear her anymore.

Happy Holidays
            My advice to any young man that does anything technical that is thinking about getting married "don't marry a woman that doesn't know the square root of two. Otherwise she won't have any idea of what you're doing or dealing with".

Comment

My better half puts up with my metal work as long as I go back to woodworking now and then. I make her a jewelry box, bookcase or some kitchen cabinets and that seems to satisfy her for while. I like metal work over woodworking.. bigger tools, closer tolerances and a lot more fun. My lady hails from Minnesota, good looking, cooks, doesn't complain about housework and doesn't complain(too much) when packages arrive from Enco or eBay.

Comment

dhammer:

I have always found the Minnesota ladies to be attractive and intelligent, and always seem upset at sports phreaks. Why any sane man would watch sports instead of paying attention to a sweet woman with brains, I have no idea.

Jerry

Any woman that would complain about her man staying home and making things has missed the point that he is at home and not running around. So what if he has a hobby making stuff - most people do. And from the pictures that have been sent to me by many of the guys, some outstanding work is being done in their home shops. Something both can be proud of.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-09-2002).]

Comment

Thrud, Last year I tried to explain to a young wife that she was better off having hubby busy at home. She just could not grasp that he was going to be doing something, and that it was better to be creative with wood or metal etc., than booze and women. The concept just shot clean over her head. I imagine that she is young enough to think that she will be able to control his life. For a fleeting moment I was tempted to tell her that a couple not interested in controling one another had a much better chance for happiness, but caught myself in time.
                  A week or so ago he and I went to pick up metal for a Christmas project for his father in law. He told me that he was spending $300 per month at the bar, and had nothing but an ulcer to show for it. And she still thinks that he should not have a better hobby, because it would cost too much. Go figure. Mike

Comment

$300 a month! What I could do with that money and not get an ulcer.

Jerry

Comment

$300 a month on booze?
                      I think I'll have to take up drinking, my steel bill was double that last month !!

John S

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thrud..

You got that right about Minnesota women.. and I agree with you about sports. Don't get me wrong ,I don't mind a good game on TV once in awhile but I would much rather pay attention to my lady.. or make chips.

Comment

dhammer:
                          I have a theory, if I can't play rugby and bulldoze my way to victory anymore - why in hell would I watch it? Sports are boring to watch, pandering to the neandertals to placate them.

I rather use my brain to make something useful or even in theory. Challange oneself - always. I find women that understand that and are willing to give their other half the space to grow are very rare and definately keepers - if they can put up with you!

God bless those darlings...

Comment

My wife is a quilter and so understands the importance of making things. She uses a different kind of "threaded fastener" than I do, but we both cut big pieces of material into smaller pieces of material, and then put them back together into large pieces again. Sewing machines are some pretty amazing pieces of equipment, and there are quilting machines that are computer controlled X-Y tables. The media and processes are a little different, but the satisfaction is the same. I would rather step on her chips than mine though.

Comment

Speaking of stepping on chips.. last week my wife dug something out of her foot. Turns out it was a sliver of steel. I looked at the sliver and asked innocently" wonder where that came from'? Someone should invent a magnatized placemat to put in front of entry door.

Comment

Working...
                              X