OT - Radio Shack batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Radio Shack batteries

I'm rebuilding a rechargable battery pack today. All I could get on such short notice was the Radio Shock standard NiCads - the heavy duty ones must be discontinued. I'd use NiMH, but the charging circuit isn't built for them. Oh, and they're only about 8 times the price, too.

I needed a bunch of "C" cells, but they didn't have enough. Well I know a trick. (woof!)

Next time your in your local RS, note that, for standard NiCd batteries, the C and the D cell pairs cost the same and have the same capacity. Uh, yup, that's right. So, I grab one of the D packs, containing two of these:

Next, it's down to the shop for a little surgery:

Lookie what's inside:

Leaving me with this to assemble my battery pack - the "victim" is the cell standing up.

Well, it fixed my little problem, but caveat emptor, dudes.

-M
    The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Well I'll be damned....

Comment

Awwww man....that ain't right!
      Alex

Comment

That is wild , I would have never guessed that.

Comment

I think you may have voided the warrenty.

------------------
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."
          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

No ****!! Look at them lazy bastards! Wow...

Comment

You weren't robbed,so rest easy .
              These "C in a D case"were designed for older radio's(remember the ghettoblaster?)which used up to 8 D dry batteries.Since people didn't want to pay the price of "real"D-size ni-cads,which were up to 4 times the price of C cells,this little dodge came about.
              A "real"D-size would have a minimum of 4000 Mah,and I believe they go as high as 8500 these days.But you pay for the privilege .

------------------
              Hans
              Hans

Comment

Batteries America has NiCd D's for $8.95 for a 5000mAh. They have NiMH's that hold 8000mAh for $14.50. They'll add solder tabs for a dollar a battery.

HTRN

------------------
                This Old Shed
                EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

At one time Radio Shack did have two flavors of “Dâ€‌ size batteries. The one that you have been abusing and a “full-bodied versionâ€‌, which if memory is correct had a 4-amp hour rating. Apparently they have discontinued that one and replaced it with a NI-MH model that has a 4.5-amp hour rating.

The NI-MH's have more power BUT they will discharge themself even if they are not used.

Comment

holy **** a pregnant battery!

Comment

At least it's not as bad as something I saw a few years ago where someone cut open one of the big name battery maker's 9 volt battery only to find 5 cells and a spacer instead of 6 cells. Yep, about 7.5 volts from a battery you pay decent bucks for expecting 9 volts. Thievery!

Comment

Wirecutter. The place to buy c size nicads is at a hobby shop for radio control cars

Take an old one with you to compair sizes to make sure they arent sub-c size, which is alittle smaller than c

[This message has been edited by ahidley (edited 03-13-2006).]

Comment

Yeah, I realized that it was the same cell with different packaging. I was mostly steamed because they dropped the heavy-duty C NiCd and went with the NiMH, which is something like twice the money, and 4-5 times the cost of the cells I bought. My application is made for the heavy-C. NiMH cells, as I understand, have different charging characteristics, and I wasn't sure the circuit I have would work correctly.

And of course, I was pressed for time. Next time I'm going to try something like batterymart.com. Online I can nearly always get things better and cheaper, but slower.
                          The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Ain't nothing changed. Back in the days of tube type radios, more tubes were better.But some radios came with lots of tubes that only lit up and did nothing.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahidley:
                              Wirecutter. The place to buy c size nicads is at a hobby shop for radio control cars

Take an old one with you to compair sizes to make sure they arent sub-c size, which is alittle smaller than c
                              </font>
                              I thought of the hobby shop thing, but didn't have one as handy.

I know about the sub-C cells, though. I need those for the cells in the pack for my Milwalkee cordless drill. Last time I looked, they were difficult to impossible to find, unless I wasn't looking for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X