My wife wants to know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife wants to know....

My wife asked me why I NEEDED a mill and lathe... specifically what would I use if for.

My response was "When I have more time, I can make all sorts of things."

That wasn't good enough. She asked, " Well what kinds of things?"

I was in shock. Well, "Stuff". I said. I can make.... [and in my mind I thought of all sorts of tools for the machines that I could make], but I didn't come up with anything beside "Candlesticks".

She wasnt' impressed. (I didn't tell her they couldn't have many curves because I didn't have a CNC version.)

Now, I am absolutely convinced that there must be dozens of things for around the house that I could make, but I can't really name any and hoped I could get some better ideas to impress my wife with the NEXT TIME (and I have to believe there will be a next time) she asks that question.

Can anybody help?

[This message has been edited by DanR (edited 03-18-2006).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanR:
    Can anybody help?[This message has been edited by DanR (edited 03-18-2006).]</font>
    Dont ask your wife next time

Comment

DanR Just tell her "NEED" has nothing to do with it... You WANT them. Matter of fact they've been ordered and are on the way.

After you've turned good metal to scrap you'll make sumthin' useful sum time eventually.

Oh and welcome to the zoo.
      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

sure you can make curves. small ones can be done with a radiused tool (all it takes is a radius gage and patience) and bigger ones can be done by cutting steps (there's programs out there to do the coordinates for you) and then finishing them with emory cloth.
        -paul

Comment

Wow, I'm speachless. Why do I need my mill or lathe? Thats it, they are up for sale... Or maybe I should trade them for some pottery equiptment. Let's go check out the pottery website. Just kidding. I feel every person has a need to create things. Machines play a sort of an extension of one's imagenation fueled by creativity and desire. You could tell her it will make you a more passionate person. I dont know of anybody who purchased a lathe or a mill just to brag about it like it was a fancy car. So to justify why one needs a special machine one has to look deep inside the soul. I express myself through my work. If you have experience machining you may understand my feelings. I work all day in a private machine shop, and still find time to come home and turn a few parts just to clear my mind and relax. I like watching my kids machining aswell. Maybe I'm crazy.

Comment

Why do you need a lathe and mill? Do you just want to learn machining as a hobby or is there some problem that you want or need to solve?

I purchased my first machines because I needed machined parts made that weren’t available. It didn’t take all that long for the first few pieces of equipment to pay for themselves. I have always had the need to make an adapter, turn down a shaft, make a bushing, or whatever. They do come in handy for a multitude of repairs, but it would take quite awhile for the cost to balance out for that purpose alone. It would likewise take a lot of candlesticks to justify a lathe.

Many on this site enjoy making steam engines, nut crackers and the like, purely for the pleasure of doing so. It may not be the cheapest hobby, but it sure is an enjoyable and educational one. It is also one heck of a creative outlet. What kind of equipment are you looking for anyway? Mini lathes and mills really don’t cost very much, assuming they will fulfill your needs.

Life existed before dishwashers, icemakers and a host of other items we use every day. I view them as tools that make my life easier, more enjoyable, or simply give me more time to do other things that I find interesting. Expensive furniture, artwork, and the ubiquitous shoe collection may yield enjoyment, but their value declines and the value they add is both limited and subjective. It’s just a matter of how you look at things. The cost of one nice vacation will pay for some decent machines, and you will probably use and enjoy those machines for the rest of your life.

If your wife truly won’t support your interests simply on the basis that you want them, I don’t know, maybe you are out of luck.

Mrs. R, please let Dan have his equipment. Surely he has worked hard, made sacrifices and deserves to have some fun. The machines will encourage his creativity, he will learn many new things which will help keep his mind sharp, and he will even be able to save some money by fixing things for the vehicles and around the house. It will certainly increase his appreciation of you, were you to approve of and encourage one of his passions.

Comment

"but I didn't come up with anything beside "Candlesticks"."

Napkin rings (serviette rings).
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

LOL... Candlesticks.

There's all sorts of things you can make but in the beginning, lean toward the things that you can FIX! It makes more points if you can fix something rather than buying a new one. (Even if cost more in materials )

Instead of ordering that $40 nylon bearing and paying a service guy $200 to replace it, you can make it! Instead of replacing a $200 motor, make new bushings. Instead of ordering that $100 part for the garbage compressor, make it. Instead of buying that $250 hub for the lawn tractor, make it. New blades for food processor, a new ring or a piece of jewelry.

I use my machines to make parts for other machines and tools. I can't wait around for a month while a custom die shop makes me a set of rolling dies for a 31 Ford fender. I can make a set of bead rolling dies and save as much as $300 or more. I can make power hammer dies and save $400+. I can make the power hammer and save $5000+! Instead of ordering custom motor mounts and loosing a couple of weeks, make them. It's hard to find parts for a 1910 water pump so I make them. The more you make, the more you'll save.

Start with a lathe and drill press. Work up from there. You don't need CNC to make curves. A radius attachment for the lathe can do that.

Comment

We went shopping a while back for some simple curtain rods. What crap! If you painted them they would collapse from the extra weight. I made some from 1/2" cold rolled and blued them. You could get fancy and turn some decorative brass finials for them too. They are strong enough to hang someone from.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

To keep you out of the pub and off the streets at night so your wife will know where to find you. I'm not sure which is cheaper though. Get them and enjoy.

Comment

After working all day on a computer, I find working in the home shop relaxing. My mill is handy for making tools for the lathe and the lathe is handy for making tools for the mill. All the while I keep my sanity in some sort of order.
                      Gary

Comment

You can also look in say Model Engineer magazine to see what amazing things you can make in a small home workshop - a beautiful working steam locomotive, gas engine, working scale model Gnome rotary aero engine, etc etc.

Comment

You sound like an other Whiped guy on this board,tell her you are going to buy a lathe.
                          Who wears the pants in your house,who pays the bills,If you don't go into debt to buy one just do it.

I wouldn't own a wife that wouldn't let me buy things.

Note, No smilies in this post.

------------------
                          The tame Wolf !

Comment

Looking at it from another view point, my wife has been asked by some of her friends how can she let me spend all of that money on the shop and tools. Her answer is it makes him happy, we save money because he can fix or make things and the biggest thing is I know where he is.

She didn't mind the extra money that came in when I turned the hobby into a business years ago. Today it is back to a hobby.

There are two ways to gain wealth. Making and saving a lot of money, and by not having to spend money to get things repaired. It takes a while for the second one to take place because you have to pay for the tool first. The lathe and mill will pay for themselves many times over while some of the other tools will never pay for themselves but support the lathe and mill.

When I first started buying tool and wanted a mill I told my wife I was going to buy one. She asked where I was going to put it, then she answered the question by saying, "I know in front of the stove". We still laugh about that today.

Today she supports me completely with the shop and I let her buy kitchen stuff. She has one of the best equipped kitchen around. I am in the process right now remodeling the kitchen for her. Part of the repairs after Katrina but it is where I started.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Comment

"I wouldn't own a wife who wouldn't let me buy things", LET me buy things!, L-E-T me buy things?, some of you guys make me wanna puke. Sounds like "Mommy, can I have a candybar?", your wives probably spend enough on makeup every year to outfit a nice homeshop. I should send your wife a photo of whats sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to finish the new building I'm working on. Get some balls.
                              "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Working...
                              X