New guy on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy on the block

I have been silently observing this sight for several months and decided to join in. It seams like such a great group of people with a common love for metalworking. My name is Mitch and I have a shop on my property with several of my metalworking toys in it. I am looking forward to participating in any discussions which I feel I could be of some help.

Whatcha making??

Comment

Mitch,
      Welcome to the board, check your allen wrenches.

Comment

Welcome to the zoo. Don't feed the animals - especially the 400lb gorilla.

Comment

And don't wait 'til you see a topic that you "feel you can be of help" Stick in your spoon and stir the pot, Mitch! Hell, they'd never hear from me if I waited until I knew something. Don't let anything as trivial as facts stunt your creative juices. PLENTY of cracker-jack smart guys on this board, they need balanced by us Homer types. Besides, honest questions should be honored with both sides of the solution. This worked (provided by more worthies), this didn't. I know lots of the latter and share them freely. ANyway, welcome aboard, Mitch!
          I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

... & if yer MUST feed th' gorilla, remember - maple syrup & rainbow trout only - no meat loaf
            Tel

Comment

mobley

Remember we all got different ways to do the same job and will argue to the death to justify ours.
              We mean no harm, mostly.
              Just like in a real shop.
              You'll get plenty of ideas to go with your own.
              Every one has their reasons for doing things (even that guy who spent five and a quarter for a drill chart on ebay).

mite

p.s. That gorilla likes a SHINEY stainless bowl!

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                Abandon hope all ye who enter here....Never fear however to tred upon..um, I mean, ah, where others have egged up before. Much better men than I keep me on the straight & narrow path; of righteous and shiny chips!
                I'm sure your queries will be more welcome than my hackneyed (hashed?) quotes.
                Good Luck sir! da Nut!

Comment

I will make anything that I feel I am capable of. My insurance man says not to make or modify playground equipment and anything dealing with boats and planes. I tinker most nights after work on various projects. I am in the process of building myself a hand tapper right now.

Comment

You know, the Giz is right. Lots of good info where we admit we "Aint gonna do that again" is here as well as "aint I smart?" stuff.
                    Welcome
                    Steve

Comment

This is a great place to discuss not only machine related topics, but even philosophical rants. I must admit that I read silently, for the most part, but I think the topics and discussions are great.

I think my next project will be a spring loaded key for my lathe chuck. So it pops out and won't sit in the chuck when you turn the thing on. <smiles nervously>
                      The early worm gets eaten.

Comment

Hey INTP, I pulled all the springs off my chuck keys years ago 'cos it's become second nature that when my hand comes away from the chuck the key comes with it, however, since my heavy handed B-I-L has moved back onto the place I 've had to re-fit 'em all. 'course, in the meanwhile I've lost all the originals & had to make replacements but what the heck - cheap insurance when someone other than yourself is around the workshop.

Tel

Comment

mite, I hope that MMobley was not the guy who purchased the drill chart. That gaffe would be the type of thing I do. But, then a man with a cannon can pretty well say what he likes, and I don't have a cannon.
                          Last year I was working with a contractor, who during lunch was telling about the bank teller that was going to be his next conquest. Since this is a rather small town, I had a pretty good idea of the lady being discussed. So, I piped up with, "Oh, the woman at the highway branch. That is my sister Eunice." He was the only one at lunch that did not know that I had no sister named Eunice. He crept away in embarrassment, and I don't think anyone ever told him. Mike

Comment

Steve
                            I never admit to being smart, about then the bastiches put electric fencing up in my cage again so I can't sneak out for pizza...

The Gorilla

PS
                            Mite: wait until after the screws are gone and pass that file in my shiney food bowl, eh? I hate lettuce tuesdays!

Comment

Mike , you say "He was the only one at lunch that did not know that I had no sister named Eunice. He crept away in embarrassment, and I don't think anyone ever told him." Aint it amazing how when a little man wants to look big he expects his pecker to do the job for him? .

Dave: you say "Steve-I never admit to being smart". Isn't that statement one of those "still beating your wife" types? you don't have to "admit" it. You many others here post what I meant by "anint I smart?" posts that show yu have answers and not bragging. I should have worded it differently. I suspect most of you answerers have to restrain your answers, rather than showing off. ME?- I gotta work hard to keep from saying MORE than I know. You gotta be cautious of me- even when I have done something and so state-I often misapply what I think I know. AND "its the things you KNOW that aint so, that causes troubles to the world". Hitler, Stalin, Einstein?
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X