Shop Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Music

I play music in my shop a lot, I am currently playing David Allen Coe, mixed with some Charlotte Church and Jimi Hendrix.

What do you guys and gals play when you are milling or lathing?

Jerry

This is a bad question for me to answer... most of the music I listen to varies with my mood... BUT if I have to narrow it down... I like to fling chips to:

Led Zep
    Billy Joel
    Aerosmith
    sometimes classical

perhaps easier if I let you know that I dont' rap or country in the machining atmosphere... I like my fingers (if you know what I mean).

Bob

Comment

I'm again' it. No music allowed in my shop. It's not as though I'm a grinch; it's just that I'm easily distracted and I don't wanna leak blood on my machinery.

Another point is few people can agree on music and what to listen to can make for foolish arguement and resentful workers.

The few times I supervised people (avoided it like poison) I forbade music on the excellent and well justified basis of safety as in listening to music interfered with hearing approaching but unseen hazards. This was sadly vindicated when a helper listening with earphones to headbanger rock got his heel run over when he stepped back into a moving pallet. The driver honked his horn as he stood on his brake but the helper never heard him and got an achilles tendon injury. When I got to the scene the head phones were on the floor and I could hear the music over shop noise from 10 ft away.

Nope. Hearing in an industrial (or home) shop environment is a safety device and anything that impedes it increasing the probability for accident or injury.

Comment

Country or Doo Wop.
        Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

I strongly agree with you Forrest! Of course a one-man operation is different.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I listen to BBC radio 5 live (a sports channel), I'd rather have a discussion about the merits of the 4.4.2 system versus the continental 3.1.3.2.1 system (for football....i.e. soccer!), or listen to the commenteries on a live match. I've never been one for having music on in the background, if I'm going to listen to music I sit back in an armchair, with a drink, and relax. When I listen to music it can be anything from 60's classics, through Punk to some of the present day Indie bands, of which, I particularly like 'Garbage' ~ that's a group by the way - not the style of music!!

RR

Comment

No music. I have this problem - if I'm listening to music I'm not paying full attention to what I'm doing. If I'm not going to pay attention I shouldn't be in the shop.

Of course, I also drove 12,000 miles to Alaska and back without listening to music. Paid attention to the road and the scenery.

------------------
              Mike L
              Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

[This message has been edited by Mike L (edited 12-03-2002).]
              Mike L
              Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

Comment

I have to work my tools off a generator. I don't get to hear anything but engine noise. Some day soon I'm going to get the time to put in a sub-panel in my garage...

Comment

www.foxy885.com

Comment

No music, but local scanner sometimes. Music is too much of a distraction, scanner is intermitten, has a storyline , and somedays is just as distracting.If I find myself not paying as much attention to details as I should, off goes the scanner.
                    Charles

Comment

Jerry,

"Charlotte Church and Jimi Hendrix"? Gee, wouldn't this be like putting cheap gravy on a filet mignon?

No music for me. I find it important to keep my ears open for what's happening.

Albert

Comment

On weekends in my garage/shop, my favorite radio programming is on Public Radio:
                        1) Car Talk, with Click and Clack ("The Tappet Brothers" ...Hilariously funny guys who give automotive advice to callers)

2) Prarie Home Companion, with Garrison Keillor (2 hr long variety progam: humor/music/nostalgia)

I'm addicted to both of those. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't tried either program.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Right now I have The Hives and Puddle of Mudd playing the background. Later I will put on Slim Whitman.
                          This evening as that I will be some delicate near microscopic work, I probably will put on some classical or maybe no music at all.

Jerry

Comment

I used to be into heavy metal but since the price of scrap went down..................

No seriously I work from home in a converted stable block. I like to have the local traffic station on so I can hear what snarl up's I'm missing {grin }

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Music is a must in my shop, without I cannot concentrate on what I am doing, just loud enough to hear. Country is #1,
                              oldies rock and roll (fifties, sixties and seventies) #2 classical #3.

------------------
                              Paul G.
                              Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                              X