Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Read "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Read "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" ?

Hi All,
    Guy Latard recommended two books , Machine tool Reconditioning and " Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy "
    Interstingly they both sell for ninty some dollars , that is without discount.
    I've tried to get "Foundations" from interlibrary loan as he suggests and can't and find myself thinking of ordering it. . . . Anyone think it's worth it ?

The book is better than most university texts that I've had. If you are interested in the subject matter, you probably won't find a better reference text.

Only you can decide if it is worth your money. It answered some questions that I didn't know enough to ask.

------------------
    Mike L
    Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.
    Mike L
    Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

Comment

FMA is an interesting book. Extremely well done. If you read it, you'll have a much better appreciation for and understanding of "accuracy" when you're through. But is it worth $90? As Mike says, that's up to you. If I were spending $90 for a book though, I think I'd want to see what I was buying first.

----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hi lalatheman,

FMA is a very interesting book but not a constantly used reference. You should be able to get it by inter library loan. The trick is to find a librarian that knows how to do it. Somtimes a state library or a university library will be your best bet. If you call the reference desk, they can tell you which collections have it.
        hms50
        hms

Comment

Interesting that Guy Lautard is so widely appreciated. Someone showed me one of his books that they had found at a garage sale, and recommended I try to find them. So I just looked him up in the phone book and gave him a call. (Happened to be in his home town anyway) It just never occurred to me that he might be recognized outside his hometown. Why doesn't he hang around these forums?

Comment

I'm about half way through FMA and think it is well worth the $100 or so it cost. There isn't much in it that one is likely to use in day to day practice, but it does give one a unique look at what it takes to get close to perfection when designing and manufacturing machine tools. Hopefully some of that will permeate my brain in subtle ways to improve the quality of my work.

Connely's book is much more useful if you want to refurbish or check out any of your machine tools.

Mike, near Chicago
            Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

A Moore group buy was the first thing that popped into my mind (inspired by Garver)reading your "Jig Borer" post...I sent them an e-mail inquiry as to quantity discounts to see what they say. I wanted to buy the book some time ago, as well as "Holes, Contours and Surfaces". But didn't due to cost. I believe there is another Moore (Charles?) publication on precision hole spacing but I can't remember the title and it's not on their site.

Comment

I have a friend that was on the international board of standards until he recently retired (knows his metrology REAL well) and thought the world of Moore's books and equipment. Turns out of course they are old friends from days gone by. As far as the cost I'm sure that a privately published book that isn't on Oprah's Book Club list (don't ask me why not) probably isn't cheap in the first place. Again, I agree with others that you have to figure out if you want or need the book and are you willing to pay that much for it. My hope is that you remember this is considered an international classic on metrology and is written by American's and published in America. So much for the rest of the world saying we only produce junk. I paid full price for Machine tool reconditioning and I don't regret it a bit as I consider it a wonderful reference material and the standard for any person who writes manuals. When you have a classic, that is so well written and full of information pay the person what he is worth (thats how I feel). Remember Christmas is around the corner, Moore Tool can probably have one at your door in time for Christmas. So go talk to your spouse. I do feel bad about pushing paying full price for this book (I don't work for Moore by the way) I'm not rich by any standard, heck laid off right now and can't afford to pay attention so don't get me wrong I'm watching my money real close now. I just checked abe.com, and a few other sites can't find it there (used). Oh well good luck to you, I'm sure a group purchase will get a discount.

Comment

Dr. Rob:
                  Guy is a busy little boy. Writing, selling kits & books, Myford lathes, and that huge train set (live steamers) they have close by. If you ever meet him, threaten to buy clam chowder. Guy is a sucker for clam chowder! And he knows the best places to get it too. Don't tell him I ratted him out on the clam chowder!

Although I think his wife does all the hard work...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 11-27-2002).]

Comment

Got the book , finally via interlibrary loan. . .and WOW LOVE IT ! I have read a couple meterology books before so its easily understandable but very intersting.
                    Also goes into good bit of construction detail about the various moore machines which he ben built to exceptionaly high standards of accuracy. Everyone intersted in precision machine tools needs to read this

Comment

Thrud, this is a trivial question, but I've always wondered about the proper pronunciation of Guy Lautard's first name.
                      The people named 'Guy' that I've known here in the US pronounced it Guy (as in Guys & Gals). But the one Canadian (in Quebec) that I know pronounces it 'Gee' (the g like 'get' and the uy as in 'Yee'). Come to think of it Guy Lombardo, the band leader was Canadian also wasn't he? Was he 'Gee' Lombardo in Canada?
                      (As you can see, I profess no French language skills at all)

Either way, tell him I love his books!

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 12-11-2002).]
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Lynn: I take strong exception to your characterization of proper pronouncing a name as trivial.

Be named "Lecil Elbert" and see how it feels!!!!! Trivial my left hind foot!!!!

Peace Lynn
                        Steve

Comment

I see your point Steve! I guess it depends on the name.

In the case of 'Guy' or 'Gee', it didn't seem quite as controversal tho.

Speaking of names, I was looking thru a machining trade rag this morning and saw an article about a machinry dealer in Chicopee, MA called "Erwin JUNKER Machinery, Inc." (my emphasis on 'Junker'. The article implied they handled new eqpt. I assume Erwin Junker was the owner/founder's name. But that struck me as an unfortunate name for a dealer in hi-tech equipt.
                          Of course over time a good company could shed any negative image connoted by that name, at least to local customers.

Hmmm, just tried their website: www.junker-machinery.com Looks like a pretty upscale operation.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

wife taught (albequeque New Mex) with a teacher who married a Junker from midwest. He inherited Junker furniture company. Wife says she (wife) would have had a new name years ago , had to be abbreviated, Junky Furniture by some one !!.

Comment

Steve, Lynn

Yeah, Guy is a Guy not a Gee. My name is Dave but sometimes it has been mispronounced Heyyoubigasshole.

Comment

Working...
                              X