Lathe gifts ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe gifts ??

Any suggestions out there for some nice lathe generated Christmas gifts, primarily for teen daughter or son ? Was thinking of cutoff bands of polished brass for bracelets, maybe, and perhaps a small fake Jedi light sabre handle as keyring decoration for 2nd set of family car keys. Any other ideas ??

I'm looking for some good PR for lathe ownership as well as a gift handmade with love

Den

You've got the right idea!! Go for it!!

Comment

Too quick with the mouse. I meant to tell you that I made my wife a copper bracelet with my lathe and then put some hammer marks on it on a round mandrel to make it look like it had been "hammered out." She really flipped over it and all her girl friends wanted to know where she got it.

Comment

Al:

Thanks for the hammer mark idea. I hadn't thought beyond the basic bands yet. I suppose I could drop a few decorative grooves onto them as well.

Did you use any sort of finish or just bare copper ?

Den

Comment

Den:
          Guy Lautard has a project called the Turner's Cube in his Third Bedside Reader. It is done on a lathe out of brass, aluminum or steel. It is a cube machined within a cube which is within a cube (3 cubes) It has no practical value except demonstrate your machining ability and cause a lot of people to say how did he do that. It could be used for a key chain.

------------------
          Dick
          Dick

Comment

Or,

How about the same thing made from titanium. You could finish by playing a tourch over the surface for color or anodize.

BTW: Playing a torch over copper brings out some very nice blues, greens and brozes.

[This message has been edited by tonydacrow (edited 12-11-2002).]

Comment

I made one of those turner's cubes, in walnut, a couple of months ago when I applied for a job as a "wood machinist." I took it in, gave it to the personnel rep, and said, "I made this." I didn't get the job, but it sure got me noticed!

Anyway...it's a fun project. The hardest part is making the fixtures and buttons and special boring bars. The actual machining of the cube is tedious but pretty straightforward. I found I had to be sure that for each face I put the cube back in the fixture the same way each time, as there was a couple thou error in the centering of the cube with the fixture. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

nheng:

Just gave it a good buffing with steel wool is all.

Comment

How does the copper react to the skin over time? Does it discolor (itself or the skin) like some metals will?

Or which metals are to be avoided in use like that.

Kevin

Comment

I've seen copper bracelets in catalogs.
                    They claim it helps cure almost any ailment you can think of (and some you can't).
                    Can't imagine they would do that unless there was no liability.

[This message has been edited by yf (edited 12-11-2002).]

Comment

Probably a good idea to know what alloy is being used and keep an eye on lead content as well. Dipping in a clear, non-toxic coating might be a good idea for kids stuff.

Comment

Don't have any idea about the lead content, but I just made my child-bride a ring for her arthritic pinky out of a piece of a copper bus bar. And, yes, it will discolor the skin somewhat, but it washes off with soap and water.

Comment

Lathe Gifts? Geeze all I can think of is how much I'd like a milling attachment or turret holder for Christmas. Yea Baby, now that's lathe gifts!

Comment

SJorgensen:
                            Like that commercial where the clod gives his woman a hockey stick wrapped up and after she she says (without opening it) "A hockey stick, how lovely, just as nice as the hammer last year!" he says, "great, can I borrow your hockey stick?"

It is the thought that counts...

Comment

Back when I was a teen, one of my buddies gave his mom a Weller soldering gun for Christmas.

My wife says if I give her a new lathe for Christmas, she will give me a new convection oven. I told her I couldn't wait to bake off some freshly painted parts

Comment

Working...
                              X