How to post pictures on this forum using photobucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post pictures on this forum using photobucket

First go to photobucket.com and create an account. They will email you a confirmation link. Visit that link to activate your account.

You will need to scan prints or load your digital images to your computer. They should be resized to about 800 pixels wide or less and saved as jpg files. When you save as a jpg file you usually have the option to save at different quality levels. Avoid using high quality level as the file size increases greatly.

When you have your images ready, log on to your photobucket account. There you will see a page with a box in the middle that is labeled "Add Picture" with a button beside it labeled "Browse". The Browse button allows you to look on your computer for the image you wish to upload to photobucket. When you find it select it with the mouse and click the "Open" button. Then, on the photobucket page, check the "keep my picture names" box if you wish. Click the "Submit" button. This will upload your picture to your image gallery on photobucket.

The picture will appear as a thumbnail and below the thumbnail is a link to the picture. Click in the link to place the cursor there and press CTRL and "A" at the same time to highlight the link. Then right click with the mouse and select "copy".

Now you can create a new post in this forum and insert the link by right clicking and selecting "Paste".

That's it. If you wish to create a link to the entire gallery then copy the link to photobucket (your gallery) in the web browser address bar and paste it into the posting.

As an example here is a link to my gallery: http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/viking/
    ---------------------------------------------

I'm adding a small part here on how to post links to images "manually".

The BBS uses a modification of HTML called UBB code, or in this case Vb code. The [img] tag is used for images and looks like this:

[img]http://someplace.com/somefolder/image.jpg[/img]

In this example you of course replace the URL with the one that points to where your image is stored. Also, in this example I have used the [noparse] directive to prevent the interpretation of the [img] tag.

It is important that the entire command string have no spaces.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another useful item for preparing pictures for display on the forum.

Go here and download and install the free image resizer Powertoy for XP (only).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

After it is installed you can right click on any image file in Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and it will have a "Resize image" item on the menu. You can resize 1 or as many as you wish in one go. It generates perfect size pics for posting here using the "Small" selection. It doesn't touch the original but makes a new copy in the same folder using the same name with "small" or "medium" etc appended to it. You can even resize pics when you are adding them to e-mails as attachments if you forgot to do it earlier.
    Last edited by Evan; 02-22-2007, 02:07 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Quoted by Paul Alciatore:
    One additional note to add to Evan's excellent instructions:
    There are three links or addresses below each picture on Photobucket: URL, Tag and IMG. The URL can be copied and pasted into a post but it will need to be clicked to allow a new browser window to open and show the picture.

The picture will appear in the post if the IMG is copied and pasted into the post and the reader will not need to click and wait.

An additional note: Please be sure to resize the picture with your photo editing software to a width of about 700 pixels. This prevents people from having to scroll across the page to read the posts.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 08-21-2004).]

Comment

To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Evan,is that a telescope your building? Nice work.
        Michael

Comment

Thanks, it's built.

See: HTTP://vts.bc.ca/astrophotos

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Evan
                      Frankly Evan, I am a little disappointed, after all I thought you said you were going to make a great scope, which I took to mean a twinoccular 18" dobsonnian to kick some American stargazing butt - but I guess we will have to wait for the Swedes to get around to it....(sigh)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Bump, before it disappears.

Comment

Working...
                              X