Music wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music wire

I need to bend some 22 ga music wire. Will a propane torch get hot enough so I can bend this stuff? I need to bend it into the shape of a triangle with about 3/8' to a side. How should I cool it once it does get hot enough?

Happy Holidays

You can bend music wire cold to a fairly small radius, say about 1/4" R. Heating it red hot will let you bend it sharper with out breaking when bending, but it will be more likely to break there later if re-bent.

Comment

Tiberus: we had a thread on spring making a while back. same cautions and techniques should apply to your triangle. You will lose the music wire properties where you heat it. You can let it cool slowly and it will stay softer, bend it cold and not too sharp a bend and it will keep some of its music wire properties. I have always put bent music wire in a oven at about 500 F to stress relive it. The thread we had suggested also "passivating it" with acid bath. There was a link to site thatsuggested the passivation.
      Steve
      (edit comment: Don't try to make a finished item as you learn. Put you torch to it and see what happens. Bend it cold, bend it hot, Break it. do same thing after heat treating and see if things change. "one experiement beats a thousand expert opinions" (most times)

[This message has been edited by docsteve66 (edited 12-18-2002).]

Comment

Music wire is hardened steel, so heating it with torch can potentially aneal it so that it no longer "springs back". I would bend it cold.

Albert

Comment

Bend it cold with a pair of duck bill pliers. Stone the sharp corners off the pliers so you don't nick thwe wire.

22 Ga? You can bend that to a one wire diameter inside radius. Wire's cheap. Try it.

Comment

Use two pairs of pliars or build a mandrel and wrap it around. Mandrel will have to smaller than finished size (at least it does when I make round springs) I would be tempted to get a tapered triangle file for a mandrel and find the "sweet spot" by trial and error. If you need a bunch of them build some tooling.
            Bend it cold.

[This message has been edited by Stepside (edited 12-19-2002).]

Comment

Wow thanks for the help you guys. I'm going to bend it cold and see what happens. Like I've been reminded this stuff is cheap so if I break the wire it won't break my bank.
              thanks

Happy Holidays

Comment

Working...
              X