CNC Machining Centers Capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Machining Centers Capability

I need to conduct capability studies on our CNC Machining Centers. I am familier with machining, but form a Quality Manager/CMM programer point of view. I need to determin repeatability and CPK's on all of our machine tools - are there standard methods for determining capability of CNC machines? What type of equipment is utilized?

-Keith

------------------
    keith walter
    manager, quality
    devonshire mfg
    keith walter
    manager, quality
    devonshire mfg

Keith,

I cannot tell you for sure, but I believe ASTM (formally known as "American Standard Testing Methods") or ASM International {American Society for Metals) could help you. ASTM produces standardized tests insure consistancy in Science and Industry. ASM also has numerous publications relating to the metal industry. If these groups cannot help you out I suggest contacting Starrett and asking them (they better know!).

Good luck
    Dave Smith

Comment

The best way is to use a laser. Check for
      squareness in every direction. I'm sure there
      are companies who do this kind of work.
      A cheap way to to use a "Hineashaw" piece of equipment.

doug

Comment

Keith,

The easiest way is to contact the machine tool dealer who represents your machine and tell their service department what your concerns are and they can outline the proper methods for inspection. These methods are usually printed in the maintaince portion of the manuals sent with the machine. If you find things to be out of alignment then a technician can come and check with the electronic equipment.

Comment

Most new CNC equipment is checked using a ball bar test. This tests movement in all 3 axis. As far as I know you can get tests accurate to 0.0001 mm. This may be somewhat expensive but there should be less strigent options.

Comment

Working...
          X