Ornamental milling machine- wood router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ornamental milling machine- wood router

Any one aware of plans to build an ornamental milling machine that uses a wood router to turn wood rope patters, scollops, sprials and other duties. Sears makes a small one with a hand crank that has a wood router mounted on a sliding sled over the work object and as the crank is turned, it moves the router and truns the work piece. I'm look for a larger version that is affradable. I have a Old Atlas 10" lathe and a mig welder, I just need some plans - Tom

------------------

Tom;

Just look at the one sears has and than build your own. you would not have to have the same dim. This way you could build it as large as you would like.
    Charlie
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Tom
      "Router Magic" (ISBN 0-87596-711-6) and its sister book "Woodworking with the Router" (ISBN 0-87596-577-6) have some some pretty well thought out router goodies along that line. The best one is "Router Magic" - it has a similar rig to what you are asking about. These are both published by Rodale Books (aka American Woodworker, owned by Readers Digest).

Fine woodworking may have something in their Library, but I do not have all their books. Besides which, they are not that hard to make up - much more forgiving than metal working tools!

Comment

& don't fergit to let us know what you come up with
        Tel

Comment

An English magazine sold plans for such a device, a write up with pictures and probably enough info to get you going was in an issue about two years ago. I think the magazine was Furniture & Cabinetmaking, they have a web site somewhere.

The thing to pattern your design off of would be the article above or the Legacy ornamental Mill. I have a lot of picture of this beastie on my web if you are interested. The Sears jig is fairly anemic compared to the others.

The thing you really want to have on one of these things a very easy way to change the sync ratio with the headstock and X axis. The best way to do this is using two separate motors drives. If you go for tome type of gear train like that used by the Legacy you are going to buy yourself all the same problems they have with that design.

PMB
          http://benchmark.20m.com

Comment

Trend in the U K make a version called the trend router jig look it up in trends webpage on google oh what the heck since its nearly Christmas I've done it for you its not a big one but you could utilise the ideas best wishes Alistair p s I like the one thrud suggested I have the book this is a good idea you can develop on etc

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routerlathe/
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Hey I'm on the track- I looked at the picture of the mill and it appelars to be made from extruded aluminum for whcih I have located at www.Frame-world.com. The have the sliders, rollers etc. Now I just need to determine the dimensions of all the parts.
              You can see what I'm trying to build at www.legacywoodworking.com. I will need to figure out how to make an indexing wheel, gears and cut threads, but I'm on my way. Any other suggestions or recommendations let me know. I think I will build one 72" long. Tom

------------------

Comment

I would suggest NOT following the Legacy pattern too closely. The gear train as they have implemented it is not that great of a design. It is too prone to un-meshing thus totally ruining the workpiece which may have taken many hours to get to that state. It is also tedious to change the gears and manual cranking gets old almost immediately.

You might also check my web on the Legacy if you haven’t done so already, there are a lot of design issues contained in the text.

PMB
                http://benchmark.20m.com

Comment

Working...
                X