Where to find foundry sand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find foundry sand?

I wish to know where I can buy a small amount of foundry sand and parting compound?

I need to make a couple aluminum castings.

Start with this link and follow its links.
    http://www.BackyardMetalcasting.com

Comment

Everything you need, fast service, great prices. (No personal connection)

http://budgetcastingsupply.com

Comment

Thankyou very much, those are the best casting pages I have seen.

Comment

I have a 100 lb cardboard barrel that you can have if you want to pay shipping. I bought it about 7 years ago and haven't touched it since, and I don't see myself using it in my lifetime. Contact me directly if you are interested.
          Charles

Comment

Go to your local Super Wal Mart, Lowes, Home Depot and pick up a bag of "Play Sand" for kids' sandboxes, unless your pockets are deeper. In that case, swing over to the power tools section and pick up a bag of "Sandblasting Sand/beads. It comes in different grades, some almost as fine as talcum powder. Then buy a bag of Kitty Litter, this will give you the Kaolin Clay to make it bind together.

Comment

I'm like Al I don't want to pay for shipping on a heavy item like casting sand. I found a fine powered bentonite clay at a local water well pump supplier for about $8.00 for a 40 lb bag. It is used when they cap a abandoned well. Silica sand is available at many building suppliers (lumber yards) for about $6.00 for a 50lb bag. The Navy foundry manual gives a ratio of 95% sand to 5% bentonite.

Comment

For my Alum casting project I ordered the Petro-Bond mix from Budget Casting and used fine grain silca sand from Menards. Mixed the Petro-Bond & sand with synthetic 2 cycle oil to reduce the smoking when casting. My first and only casting came out great!

With the water based mixes you need to make sure you have vents for the steam to excape.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Go to the backyard website and look at Ray-Vin's website he has a formula for homemade Petro bond that works great and is dirt cheap!If you ever have used green sand you will forget about it after using this!
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                  X