How old is your southbend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is your southbend?

Mine was built in 1990. Its a 10k. I got it from a guy for $1200.00. It also came with a production turret, cross slide with tool posts, the turret tool holder and a tapping attachment. All southbend. I sold all the extras and made my money back.

Army Corps of Engineers plate on mine says it was purchased in 1952. Also the gear chart for metric. Sure wish that translation gear was still with it... In the 50's and 60's it probably never had the cosmoline cleaned off, but it sure would be handy THESE days. Taper attachment is a no-brainer to use; I sure wouldn't want to be without it but I'd be hard pressed to pony up for the option on a new machine. It's a 16" boosted to 24, which makes for some interesting possibilities. Swing that riser around and I can work from alot of different angles. Can get 'inside' big bowls on the rare occasions I turn them. I talked the seller out of his Dorian QC toolpost, and that is really nice, but otherwise there wasn't much with the machine.
    I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Mine is also a 10K. According to SBL it left the factory July 6 1964

Rob

Comment

So far I guess mine are the oldest of the bunch,(I'm sure not for long.) My 9" is of 42 vintage and my 16" is a 47. Both are wonderful machines. Idon't know how I could get along without them.

Comment

You guys have it great working with such new iron! My lathe left the factory in 1929 according to the folks at south bend. All in all I love it but I would trade it for somthing slightly less worn, say by about 40 years. It has been a great learning experience.
          Brian

Comment

I have two SB Lathes in my shop. The oldest which I have used for many years and now plan to really restore it dates back to 1928. The other that I bought from my sister in law is an 8inch going back to 1936. That one is in great shape and soon I will set it up. I must admit that I do have a 10 inch Grizzly that has worked quite well for me and has been the work horse on many a project.

Comment

My 9" Model 'C' was shipped to Buck & Hickman, London in August 1936 according to 'Rose' in the SBL spares dept. It was then requisitioned by the British Army in '38 for a REME mobile workshop. I got it in 1963 after the mobile workshop had been sold off at Govt. surplus auction.

It had been re-conditioned by the army in 1952 (according to the stamp on the bedway), and I had the ways reground 10 years ago along with the saddle remachined and scraped to fit. 4 years ago it had a new tailstock barrel, and new leadscrews/nuts throughout. So it's probably on its 3rd life!

Wonderful machine, and though I would like to have the powered cross feed it's OK as is, and it still holds 0.0005" on diameter over 8" or so. It lives next to the Raglans in my shop, and they get on well with each other!

RR

Comment

My 9" was shipped in 1944,( it has a war production tag on it), and came with the draw-in collet attachment, milling attachment and 4 jaw chuck as well as faceplate. It started life as a model B with flat belt but now sports QC gearbox and v-belt pulleys as well as a light ten quick change lever for the lead screw rotation. It was the first lathe I ever saw! It belonged to a wonderful fellow in my neighborhood who was my mentor. When it became available, it didn't take long to decide to buy it.
                hms50
                hms

Comment

One little oddity about my machine I forgot to mention. The quick change gear chart was riveted one tumbler to the left of where it shoulda been when I got it. First thread I tried to cut surprised the hell out of me when the pitch turned out wrong. Chisel out, rivets sheared off, plate flattened and screwed back into proper position. But it made me wonder just how much threading got done on that machine prior to 1996...
                  I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Working...
                  X