OT, Auto: How To Clean Dealer Sticker Adhesive From Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Auto: How To Clean Dealer Sticker Adhesive From Window

Just got a 20O4 GMC Envoy for my wife: great price and they took her 96 Volvo in trade. It looks great and she loves it. I do too and I hope she lets me drive it some.

We bought it from a Ford dealer and they had a sticker on the inside of the passenger window. That sticker may have been there for a while and there was some of the adhesive left on the window. The window appears to be tinted glass and I tried alcohol, thinking it would make short work of it. That didn't work. I tried glass cleaner and kitchen cleaner again with no luck. In fact, the cleaners appear to have made it worse, not better. I am afraid to try something like mineral spirits or WD-40 for fear of harming the window - if I haven't already done that. The window does appear to be real glass that is tinted, not one of those peel and stick tints, but can I be sure?

If anyone has had any experience with a similar problem, I would appreciate advise on a SAFE cleaner that I can try. If no luck here, I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and can ask there.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Try this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Goo-Gone-12...ver/1000192475

It seems to be on oily mix with a citrus odor. WD40 or kerosene might work as well.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

snip . . .

I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and can ask there.

They put it on. Have them take it off.

Comment

my solution is to never buy from a dealership....but that goo be gone stuff does work on stickers

Comment

WD-40, mineral spirits (although I HATE the lingering smell of MS), or charcoal lighter fluid. I use this stuff for really "stuck" stuff.
          Last edited by SLK001; 10-20-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I just use acetone to dissolve the glue, then finish with Windex. Seems to work.

Comment

Use of acetone on the plastic stick on type of tinting might ruin the film. I only use acetone if it is actually the glass surface.

Comment

Try vaseline. That sometimes works, depending on the adhesive involved.

I have a spray can of stuff similar to that from Lowes, shown above, that I got at Harbor Freight. But of course with it, as with most solvent remedies, you'll then be faced with cleaning up that mess left behind.
                Last edited by lynnl; 10-20-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Try naptha (lighter fluid)
                  Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                  Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

if you use acetone, be careful, it will wipe away lots of different paints.

Comment

Kerosene is safe, gentle and works great on pressure-sensitive adhesives.
                      So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Your plastic door panel won't like it if you get acetone on it use a straight pin to scratch the glass as close to the rubber wiper as you can get. If it's a film tint the pin will cut it. If it's tinted glass, WD40 should work. If it's not a hassle to get to the dealer I would make them fix it.
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Like Dave C mentioned above, test it to make sure that it is tinted glass and not a plastic tinted coating.
                          If it's glass any of the solvents above will work well. To make it easier I usually scrape any excess glue residue off of the glass prior to cleaning. This way you'll probably get 95% of the work done already before actually tackling the cleaning process itself.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Speaking of removing stickers.....

The stickers online metals puts on their materials. Sometimes I'd need a bar or two of 3/8" diameter 12L14 to finish out a big order. Their dam stickers take forever to remove. The material was run in a bar fed lathe and if the sticker isn't completely removed it'd gum up the collet. We tried everything within reason, usually various solvents, then scraping when the sticker was softened. Way back when online was just getting going I asked them to use an easier to remove sticker, which they agreed to do and didn't do.

Comment

Late to this party.... WD40, mineral spirit, low odor paint thinner ( the mineral spirit like solvent for oil based paints) or kerosene. I've never found that these harm plastic or paint. And I've used it on a lot of different paints and plastics over the years. So I'm about 99.9% sure that they will not harm the tint even if it is a film type tint.

After the glue is softened and wiped away some regular glass cleaner to remove any of the residue of the solvent used. That avoids the lingering smell since it cleans away all the solvent.

The solvents that WILL affect a lot of types of plastic and paint are xylene, acetone or different types of lacquer thinner or pretty much anything that ends with 'tone or 'lene. There likely are exceptions here but not likely you'll find such solvents on paint supply shelves.

Comment

Working...
                              X