The Site Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chucketn View Post
    Can a 'Mark all Read' button be added to the New Topics page?
    Yes, please.

Chuck, my current workaround is to click on "General" in one of the posts to go to that "channel" (where most New Topics originate), then Ctrl-end to get to the bottom of the channel where you'll find a "mark all read" button for that channel.

This will eliminate all the posts from the General forum showing in the New Topics page. There may be posts from the other channels remaining though those will be few in number and can be dealt with by clicking on them.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to address some of them, but it may be a few days before I have the time to do so.
      George

Comment

I miss the old format but that's because I'm an old codger at heart and fear change. Thanks for all the hard work George.I remember when the forum went through a major change back in the early 2000s and it took me a while to adjust then, too.

Comment

1) thanks for hosting this site for free and all that.

2) I _really_ liked the and "show me all the posts since I last logged in" feature of the old software. Yes, I can go to advanced search and manually do that ... every time I log in to read the site. To me, losing this is a huge step backwards.

3) thanks for hosting this site for free and all that.

4) I prefer the old layout, it was denser ... I could much more easily see everything. The current one has so much blank space in, for example, the listings of posts, that I find it harder to skim the list quickly to see what's what. This is especially significant since most of my reading is done on a phone. It is even more annoying when the "who posted this post" box on the left takes up multiples of the space required by the actual post (eg, post #27 in this thread)

5) thanks for hosting this site for free and all that.

I realize that HSM didn't "make" these changes -- the folks at vBulletin did. But still, the utility of the site is reduced so I'll probably just slowly stop reading (and very very occasionally contributing) this site.

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post

2) I _really_ liked the and "show me all the posts since I last logged in" feature of the old software. Yes, I can go to advanced search and manually do that ... every time I log in to read the site. To me, losing this is a huge step backwards.

Selecting the option "New Topics" should do what you are looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	196
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1835969

As to the style, we have a work order in with vBulletin to try and figure out how to allow users to choose from a variety of styles. However, this won't change the layout, just the colors and fonts. The empty space you see is a result of the software trying to serve as many screen sizes as possible and can't be changed by us.
            George

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
              Type is so small these old eyes can't read it
              can you add dynamic type?
              Seastar
              In firefox I just press alt-+ or - to change the font size.

Comment

George, thanks for the suggestion to click the arrow to get to the last page in the thread. That helped a lot. It seems some of the nav features don't work unless I am logged in. I couldn't change pages in a thread a minute ago, and now I can once signed in.

This javascript is tough to bear. In the old version - like most sites - I can middle mouse click on 'quote' and it opens a new window for me to compose my reply. In the new version the mandatory javascript will only allow me to left click and edit my post in the tiny window at the bottom of the page. Normally, almost every link I click is via middle click, to open it in a new window and preserve the context of the original page.

Also, the javascript is slow in general. The site wants to update everything dynamically. Even just listing the topics, there is an icon it wants to load next to each, and apparently it needs to make a query for each one and elements are not active until that completes. Blocking those icons removes that wait.. I realize you probably can't fix those things. It's just the farce that is dynamic content - it sounds good but is more typically one step forward, two steps back.

Still trying to figure out how to get back to the 'basic' editor. Normally ctrl-b is backspace for me when editing, but with the enhanced editor it toggles bold. VB always had two or three editor choices. I found a little info about this in searches but current support is not clear.

Comment

If you use Firefox, there is an option for "Reader View", which seems to be designed for small screen devices such as iPads and tablets. It offers a choice of (larger) type styles and backgrounds. Easily shows posts like this:

Name:	Screenshot_2019-10-30_The_Site_Upgrade-HSM.png
Views:	156
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1836081
                  PNG comes out small, even when choosing full size. I'll try JPG. Note the "sepia" background and serif style text:

Name:	Screenshot_2019-10-30_The_Site_Upgrade-HSM.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1836082
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I didn't see mention of this, what happened to the location from your profile being in your post? One of the many pleasures of HSM is seeing what a widespread community this is.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                      I didn't see mention of this, what happened to the location from your profile being in your post? One of the many pleasures of HSM is seeing what a widespread community this is.
                      No doubt George and the IT guys will get that working in time. In the meantime, I suggest you add your location to your sig line...

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Folks who haven't turned on the display of sig lines will not see locations embedded there. If you're not seeing sigs, go to User Settings and scroll down to Conversation Detail Options and check Show Signatures to turn on the display of same. At that same point avatars can be checked on/off as well.
                        Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                        http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

The Ignore List is now blocking any posts made by someone in it nearly completely. The post numbers are even like they never posted in the thread. This is disquieting. I merely want the heads up that the older version gave (prepare myself or just skip it depending on my mood.)

The only indicator is if they were quoted or someone mentioned their post. So you can't even reference a post by number, because they won't be the same for everyone.

Also, if an ignored member started the post, the thread (channel - ugh) is not even listed unless I know it was there, search on a term that gets me there, and wonder why the first post is a response.

If someone has already mentioned this, I might not have been able to see it, "Sorry!" if so.

Comment

As far as I can see, the new version of the site is pretty much just fine.

Good work.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Personally. I see no need for an ignore list. If someone posts something that is truly offensive, or against the rules of the forum, the post should be reported and the member warned. Otherwise, if you don't want to read something, simply don't read it.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Tapatalk no longer seems to work for forum access. Is that anticipated to be fixed at some point? I used to like reading the forum on my phone via Tapatalk.

Comment

Working...
                                X