Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to sore to split wood? Get out your screw gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My preferred method of splitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vertsplit.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1836270
    1949 Farmall Cub with "home made" vertical splitter driven from right angle PTO Gearbox. No real lifting, roll the log under the wedge, split and toss chunks. Have to pic a good piece to sit on in front of the splitter.............
    Last edited by Greg_B; 10-31-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
      I remember seeing a much larger version of that demonstrated at state fairs around here as a kid. The most common source of power was removing a wheel from a pickup and bolting the tapered screw in it's place. Occasionally, you would see it on a 3-point tractor hitch. The large version looked in person to be as incredibly dangerous as you can imagine. It did seem very capable of splitting just about any log you could throw at it. I always wondered what would happen if you managed to give it something that wouldn't split! I could imagine your truck flopping wildly around with the log going over and over and the throttle locked!
      We still have one, though we haven't used it in years. I remember in the late 70's early 80's that my dad would jack up his old Chevy 2500 Silverado and run it off that. When that truck crapped out though the new truck didn't have the right bolt pattern so it stopped being used, personally I think his back was hurting from holding up the logs. . He always said it was dangerous but he never got hurt. Would split big oak and pecan logs fast.
      Ive actually considered building an adapter for out tractor 3pt to run it in a vertical position and rig up a hydraulic clamp to hold the log.

Comment

My wood splitters, are named Jeremy and Brendon.

Comment

There is nothing on a hydraulic log splitter that cant be made with a lathe, milling machine,drill press, and metal cutting band saw. Tools most home shops have. Make it high enough that you aren't bending over to use. Have a crane or log lift to lift the big ones. And other features you find you want from looking around youtube and using your friends, etc. A little research in catalogs from Northern or the Surplus Center will get you matching engine power, pump, valve, and cylinder sizes. And you can probably buy one for less money than you will spend but it won't have the custom features and you won't be the one who built it. Did all this 10 years or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by akajun View Post

We still have one, though we haven't used it in years. I remember in the late 70's early 80's that my dad would jack up his old Chevy 2500 Silverado …..
            Q?
            Why are the Chevy guys always telling you what trim package or option package they have??
            If it is a Silverado or Cheyanne or Z71.... Why does that matter???
            No Ford owners say F350, Platinum, King Ranch, XLT Lariat……
            It is just an F350. That's it.
            Chevy owners want to tell you what color the floor mats are.
            Is it just me that notices this?
            Like any old truck could turn a wood splitting screw for sure.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Looks like a waste of time, a gadget for men that like gadgets.. the hand drill size. . Unless maybe you are handicapped or too dangerous to run a hatchet. Like cheap log splitters, I think I can split regular fire wood faster, with a maul and sledge....than my buddy and his girlfriend can on a cheap powered splitter.
              a hatchet is your friend, don't gend to pick up rounds, use the hatchet.
              I used to sell fire wood years ago.,

Comment

Frank, you found us. LOL Was wondering where you went.

Yes. totally agree with the drill powered kindling splitter, waste of time and money in that size. Bigger ones done right work well but holy cow, you need something like this to split kindling?
                Looks like buddy in the video would be better off touching up his angle grinder skills.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yes I had to sign in again, not sure if my password, but it was remembered by the forum.
                  being that I worked as a logger, I find the great lengths people go to to avoid a bit of work humorous..
                  I would rather split wood than any household or yard chore.. it's good exercise.. of course if you don't know how, I guess it makes it seem like work..

the guy in the video is a bit irritating to watch, does not seem skilled at using tools. The trick with kindling is to be able to let go of the piece just before the hatchet strikes.

Comment

A hatchet is one thing but for anyone with mobility troubles swinging a big splitting axe or maul can be a painful experience.

Mind you at that point so is just moving the big crosscuts around to get them ready for splitting. I think with that in mind while it means bending down to roll them into place I rather like that vertical unit.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      I would rather split wood than any household or yard chore.. it's good exercise..
                      I agree with that. Was never a logger and wouldn't want to be, but I enjoy splitting firewood. It's the moving, carrying, and stacking that gives my back trouble; a different method of splitting doesn't seem to help that much.

Comment

That guy isn't splitting firewood, he is making toothpicks.

Comment

Search eBay for "screw cones" ... not expensive for little ones for drills

Comment

I'll vote for using a good old splitting maul. It could sometimes be a bit painful before my two back operations, but even then, I think the exercise was essentially good, and better than remaining inactive for very long. Same with shoveling snow. I use a snow shovel and I just take a break when it gets to be tiresome, and then get back to it. Now I am using a cutter mattocks, heavy digging bar, sledge hammer, various shovels, a hoe, and rakes to move a few tons of dirt and extricate huge rocks from the ground, and after a couple weeks of such heavy work I've lost ten pounds of fat and probably added a few pounds of muscle. I can only take an hour of working out in the gym once in a while, whereas two or three hours working on outdoor projects like excavation, wood cutting, debris clearing, and firewood splitting, are very satisfying and healthy. Of course, there are some conditions where heavy lifting and swinging a maul may cause injury, but in my case it seems that my orthopedic operations have stabilized my spine, and along with the hip and knee replacements, at 70 years of age, I can do most of what I was capable of 15-20 years ago.

As for the tapered screw wood splitter, I can see where it might be handy for making kindling, but I have lots of small branches as well as old lumber that I cut up and use for that. I do use a hatchet as well, and hand saws and loppers to cut small branches to fit in the stove. The seasons provide their own opportunities for useful exercise. Leaf raking, snow shoveling, wood cutting, splitting, and hauling, mowing, demolition, excavation, clean-up, and building. I bought this house (and the adjacent house and land) to provide a challenge and ways to keep busy with physical exertion as well as mental activity planning and executing all sorts of projects, other than my usual tedious electronics and programming work.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

What I dont like about what the screw thing did for him, it did not separate the wood all the way, you still have to pull it apart. Takes as long as a hit with a hatchet .
                              the best kindling is to get the right wood without knots. Cut it into 8 inch length if need be. If it's dry it will split easy, even a meat cleaver can do it, and that is pretty easy on the back
                              The hand drill screwgun if it catches will hurt you or wear out the drill if it jams often. A better way would be to mount it on a small motor or a small lathe and feed it in from the side. ..safer.
                              Last edited by 754; 11-01-2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Q?
                                Why are the Chevy guys always telling you what trim package or option package they have??
                                If it is a Silverado or Cheyanne or Z71.... Why does that matter???
                                No Ford owners say F350, Platinum, King Ranch, XLT Lariat……
                                It is just an F350. That's it.
                                Chevy owners want to tell you what color the floor mats are.
                                Is it just me that notices this?
                                Like any old truck could turn a wood splitting screw for sure.

--Doozer
                                Hey, ask one friggin question at a time please. You start to sound like you are rambling otherwise.

I think in some areas you will have ford folks. My immediate family have dully 5th wheel tow units. A dodge and a ford. Cheby folks like to be fancy! So... JR
                                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                                X