No announcement yet.

Gatling gun project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres what I am thinking, get this puppy into Fusion, 3D print a miniature version of it that is a working cap gun, with little 3d printed rounds that hold the caps, even make it driven by an electric motor. And build it for real for as intended.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      Heres what I am thinking, get this puppy into Fusion, 3D print a miniature version of it that is a working cap gun, with little 3d printed rounds that hold the caps, even make it driven by an electric motor. And build it for real for as intended.
      A miniature version of the .22 gun would present LOTS of problems. A .22 guns bolts are only 7/16 diameter for example and are hollow to allow the firing pin and its spring down through it. The extractor on those bolts is only about .100 wide, pretty darned tiny. Going even smaller will present real challenges and with the tolerances and surface finishes of 3d printing things will get even worse.

The concept of a cap gun version is workable, including 3d printed BUT definitely not smaller, larger is the most likely to succeed. The barrels could be shorter without problem but the guns diameter and bolt size are the areas of concern.

Having built both 22 and .357 mag versions I can tell you that the 357 was LOTS easier to build because of its larger scale. Dang 22 version has some pretty tiny parts with a lot of detail.

A final data point, the bolts are the heart of the gun and one of the toughest parts to make. Functioning is also highly dependent on the quality of the bolts.

Comment

Were the original Gatling guns generally reliable or were they prone to jammed feeds/sticking bolts etc?
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Well, if you just wanted to make a blank-firing one, build the .22 version, and feed it the little .22 caps from power nailers. Ram-sets? Something like that. You'd have to adjust the feed mechanism for the super-short "cartridge", and what you'd want to do is bore the barrels undersized- like with a 3/16" bore, so any official type that gets curious knows it can't chamber and fire live ammo.

That's part of the reason Hollywood guns have bore restrictors- part of it is to increase the gas pressure so a semiautomatic cycles more reliably (and incidentally makes the "muzzle flash" last longer for photographic purposes) but also to prevent an accidental or intentional live round from exiting the barrel.

Or chamber the thing for the famous Hollywood 5-in-1 blanks (or really, any commercially available blank) and similarly underbore the barrels.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

(And it's also worth noting that the .22 version is already a miniaturized copy. )

On the Prius thing... where the hell did they get a 20MM Vulcan in the first place?!? That thing can't be privately owned, can it?

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
              Were the original Gatling guns generally reliable or were they prone to jammed feeds/sticking bolts etc?
              Nope, extremely reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                (And it's also worth noting that the .22 version is already a miniaturized copy. )

On the Prius thing... where the hell did they get a 20MM Vulcan in the first place?!? That thing can't be privately owned, can it?

Doc.
                Excellent question that I also share. Weapons such as this are "demilitarized" before being sold or scrapped. Demilitarized in the case of one of these is a SERIES of torch cuts a minimum of 1/2" gap. One area specified is the bolt/breech area. Obviously, this one skipped the DOD process some how.

Not sure about private ownership, machine guns can be owned with a Class 3 license but I don't know about destructive devices which this qualifies as. There are quite a few miniguns in private hands (smaller 30 caliber brother to the vulcan). Class 3 licenses limit ownership to guns made prior to a certain date (1986) as far as I know and these guns are newer, so I have no idea how it happens. (but am curious)
                Last edited by Sparky_NY; 11-08-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Beautiful work there Sparky. There is also a whole lot of diligence represented by completing such an involved project (and twice, no less).

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Excellent question that I also share. Weapons such as this are "demilitarized" before being sold or scrapped. Demilitarized in the case of one of these is a SERIES of torch cuts a minimum of 1/2" gap. One area specified is the bolt/breech area. Obviously, this one skipped the DOD process some how.

Not sure about private ownership, machine guns can be owned with a Class 3 license but I don't know about destructive devices which this qualifies as. There are quite a few miniguns in private hands (smaller 30 caliber brother to the vulcan). Class 3 licenses limit ownership to guns made prior to a certain date (1986) as far as I know and these guns are newer, so I have no idea how it happens. (but am curious)
                    The M61 has been around since 1959, so it's fairly easy so long as it's pre-86' and follows the destructive device laws, assuming you also have the $$$$$$$$$

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

The M61 has been around since 1959, so it's fairly easy so long as it's pre-86' and follows the destructive device laws, assuming you also have the $$$$$$$$$
                      Yes indeed, money and paperwork will get you just about anything.
                      For $2,500 a pop you too can fire a privately owned 155MM Howitzer.

https://www.battlefieldvegas.com/m11...55mm-howitzer/
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I've wondered about the formal authorization process whenever I see (e.g. TV) various agencies using cannons/artillary pieces for avalanche control in mountainous areas.
                        Maybe not 155mm, but still pretty big stuff.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Nope, extremely reliable.
                          The design spits out the entire cartridge if it fires or doesn't. Such a beautiful design.

Comment

Rear cover off showing gear drive
                            Click image for larger version Name:	gears.jpg Views:	5 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	1837065

Gears were made using Gearotic Motion software using nothing but a 1/16 ball endmill cutter on a homemade 4th axis.
                            Well.. Only two things to say.

You do machining real good.

What is the DP of the gear set hahaaa.

Love the work and photos. Thanks. JR

Oops, I meant to add.
                            Last edited by JRouche; 11-10-2019, 02:10 AM.
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

The design spits out the entire cartridge if it fires or doesn't. Such a beautiful design.
                              Not unlike a revolver. If you have a misfire, just pull the trigger again. Well, a revolver on steroids.
                              Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Maybe worth noting. There is a knob on the rear that engages / disengages the cocking mechanism. Pushed in you can crank rounds through the gun without them detonating, pull back to go "hot".

Comment

Working...
                                X