Instant universal divider for lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant universal divider for lathe

I needed to make a part that had a 2 inch bolt circle with seven holes .I downloaded this free angle app on my iPhone. I made a holder for my iPhone and I attached it to my lathe with super magnets. I was then able to spot the Bolt circle with an 8th inch drill. Here are some pictures.
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 11-06-2019, 07:28 PM.

Wait, that's just cool! what was the name of the app? I have to try that someday, I never would have thought of that.

Comment

I'm impressed that they rate it down to a tenth of a degree.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It would be informative to go around a second time to confirm the precision and repeatability of the readings.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          Wait, that's just cool! what was the name of the app? I have to try that someday, I never would have thought of that.
          The app is ANGLE PRO ,IT IS FREE .It loads in seconds. It beeps at the 90 degree quadrents,You can set tt so that you can also lay the phone flat on a table or tape it to a table and set the table level or any angle that you want.Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
            It would be informative to go around a second time to confirm the precision and repeatability of the readings.
            When I get a chance,I will mount a 1-2-3 block and indicate it compared to the iPhone. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

I have my reservations about trusting an unknown device in a cell phone to provide +/- 1 degree, much less +/- 0.1 degree. And it was mounted with super magnets. What does that do to this unknown device?
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

There is a whole slew of apps that do this. Search for inclinometer or clinometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  I have my reservations about trusting an unknown device in a cell phone to provide +/- 1 degree, much less +/- 0.1 degree. And it was mounted with super magnets. What does that do to this unknown device?
                  I will try to make some accuracy and repeatability tests. Their is a1/8 plate between the magnets and the iPhone.I don't think much of the magnetic force gets thru. This was a quick mount. I am thinking about a clamp on bracket that mounts on rear end of the lathe spindle.This will eliminate the magnet.Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

I like it, I like it, I like it !!!
                    I just added this trick to my toolbox. No more need to move the part to the milling machine for the bolt circle, I can keep the part in the lathe for turning operations. Time saver.
                    Thanks for posting

Comment

That's cheating that is........

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post

I will try to make some accuracy and repeatability tests. Their is a1/8 plate between the magnets and the iPhone.I don't think much of the magnetic force gets thru. This was a quick mount. I am thinking about a clamp on bracket that mounts on rear end of the lathe spindle.This will eliminate the magnet.Edwin Dirnbeck
                        afaik a magnet doesn't have any affect on an accelerometer,.

Great idea. In a great number of situations, the accuracy required shouldn't be more than does it look it right....in the sense that the easiest, possibly best, way to do bolt hole circle mates is drill both at once or drill one and use transfer punches for the second.
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Clever solution.

If you turn the lathe on will it tell you rpm too?

One of these will probably work for most bolt circles too, for those of us that have one sitting around collecting dust.
                          https://www.lowes.ca/product/magneti...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

A magnetic protractor works well too. Only $5 and does not require a smartphone. Stick it on the vise jaw.

Some like electronic gadgets, not me if I can use something simpler, cheaper, and does not require electrons or phone service.

Edit: Dan beat me to it.

Comment

Here's a simple way to construct an approximate heptagon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cErccoHui9g

The true length of one side of a heptagon inscribed in a circle of radius R is given by:

C = 2 * R * SIN (180/7)

which for the unit circle (R = 1) evaluates to 0.86777

In the video he constructs the line labeled QM and uses that for the pentagon side. The length of QM can be found by noting that QO = R and MO = R/2, so:

QM = SQRT ( R^2 - R^2/4) = R * SQRT (3/4) = R * 0.5 * SQRT (3)

which for R = 1 evaluates to 0.86603

Close, but not perfect. Gauss' conclusions are not threatened.

Last edited by mklotz; 11-07-2019, 01:26 PM.
                              Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                              http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Working...
                              X