No announcement yet.

Instant universal divider for lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you clamping the spindle, and what are you drilling the holes with ?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
      How are you clamping the spindle, and what are you drilling the holes with ?
      I have a complete set of boring bar bushing’s that are mounted exactly on center. In this case I am using a 1/8 inch bushing and a long skinny one eighth inch drill. I am only spotting the holes.I am not clamping the chuck from rotating as there is very little force involved. If I make this a more permanent set up I will provide a method of clamping the spindle .Edwin DirnbeckClick image for larger version  Name:	074B3B09-FE34-4D19-9215-289A33731DAB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	1837379
      Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	69926DE3-A2FE-4767-89E0-B44D599D1885.png Views:	1 Size:	7.39 MB ID:	1837577Click image for larger version  Name:	425E872F-15CB-4BA8-AD5E-30893E359808.png Views:	1 Size:	7.11 MB ID:	1837576Click image for larger version  Name:	69926DE3-A2FE-4767-89E0-B44D599D1885.png Views:	1 Size:	7.39 MB ID:	1837575 Here is a picture of my angle test set up.I have a 123 block mounted on the chuck. Repeatability is very accurate with and .001 per inch. However when I rotate 180° the accuracy is with in 3/10 of a degree. This works out to about .005 per inch.This is close enough for most of the bolt holes that I will be doing. I am going to try to make a different holding fixture that does not use magnets and see if the accuracy improved..Edwin Dirnbeck
        Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 11-08-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

There is another app that helps drill holes on a flat piece of work. You upload the plans to the smart phone and then run the app. Photographing the stock registers the stock against the plans. Then you lay the phone on the stock and slide it around. When you get to the right location it puts crosshairs where you need to drill. Simply drill through the crosshairs. You will be amazed at the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drill smartphone 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1837598

(Note - this might void your warranty)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
            There is another app that helps drill holes on a flat piece of work. You upload the plans to the smart phone and then run the app. Photographing the stock registers the stock against the plans. Then you lay the phone on the stock and slide it around. When you get to the right location it puts crosshairs where you need to drill. Simply drill through the crosshairs. You will be amazed at the results.

I tried this, It worked great for the first hole. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

Drilling through the cellphone is a good way to ruin a good drill.

Comment

Working...
              X