Off topic.Making a Lifetime outdoor plastic box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic.Making a Lifetime outdoor plastic box

Click image for larger version  Name:	E268574E-9DC7-484A-AF09-0865B3A67ABC.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	1837329Click image for larger version  Name:	A1A30945-8107-46FA-B62D-473F33D03796.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	1837328Click image for larger version  Name:	E50631D7-82DE-423B-851C-C02069EE02C8.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	1837327 I have aPolaris four wheeler that I ride every day. I must keep it outside. It is pretty much weatherproof except for the handle bar and speedometer area which also contains the display and computer. The hand controls will easily freeze up if left out in the rain and snow. So I made this lightweight PVC box which is easily removed. This stuff is for sale at Lowe’s and Home Depot And search places. I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/8 thick PVC. It actually measures .350. It cost about $70 a sheet. This is rather expensive compared to plywood but I don’t like to make things over and over again and paint them. I made the box and screwed it together with Stainless steal pan head sheet metal screws. I’ Took it a part and slathered on PVC cement the same stuff that you use on plumbing.I then screwed it back together. This sheet material is not quite as dense as plumbing pipe but it is made for outdoor use. It is sold and made by the same company that makes exterior vinyl trim for the outside of your house. It is fairly light weight and cuts easily with A Skil saw.Edwin Dirnbeck
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM.

Not knocking it - but small tarps and a couple bungies are dirt cheap and will also protect your seat from UV rays...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Not knocking it - but small tarps and a couple bungies are dirt cheap and will also protect your seat from UV rays...
      Yes, I was using that method. I am extremely impatient,especially when I am starting to do something and when I am done. This takes seconds to put on and take off..Edwin Dirnbeck .

Comment

If you have a half-decent heat gun (replaceable ends, controllable temperature) you can get a tip that enables plastic welding. PVC is really easy to weld and with minor practice can look good also!

Comment

either method just check once in awhile to make sure pack rats have not moved in and are tearing holy hell out of everything,,, Iv never had a problem here but all my friends up in the mountains do,,, from ignition wires to fuel injection control leads they do their fair share of damage not to mention building nests in air intake boxes and stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            The kind of tarps sold in the "home centers" are definitely not UV-protected. My house has a southern exposure and in late April/ early May, can get a fearsome dose of UV radiation. I know this will not seem credible, but I've had a new tarp suffer melted-in holes in less than a week, early in the season. I did not understand what was going on until I realized that tarps in the back yard lasted longer than those in the front yard. The damaged tarp looked like someone had attacked it with a propane torch. When I took it back to HD, the clerk refused to believe that I had not laid it over a hot engine - and honestly, I don't blame him. (He did refund my money, but made it clear that he thought I was a rip-off artist.

I've also had a plastic garbage can suffer noticeable deformation. If it ain't the sun, it must be the Russians have a ray-gun pointed at my house.
            Last edited by tlfamm; 11-07-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Those tarps are not UV protected, and not rainproof, either. Just "resistant". They are woven plastic strip. Some have a coating on one side, but it does not last long before there are leaks.

The box looks pretty good. An overall tarp tends to really encourage critter nesting, better shelter, I suppose.

My only concern is that inside the box in the sun it can get very hot, He is not too far from me, and we get brutal UV and solar heating in the summer. Never yet had a tarp melt, but it has seemed to get very close to that.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Wait a sec....

I like the box and your goals. But isn't PVC the stuff that folks say not to make air lines out of because over time and exposure to sunlight it gets brittle? So much so that a You Tuber that has a whole lot of videos on making archery bows out of PVC tubing and a heat gun put out a video on how to test the tubing with a rubber mallet to see if it's "fresh" enough to use for a bow. If it splits or shatters like glass at the first blow it's no good. And we're talking about stock in the store simply not being cycled rapidly enough.

The box is a nice quick solution. But it may not be the LAST box you make due to exposure to the sun and elements.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Painting it would solve the sunlight issue. Just don't try to use oil-based paint:
                  https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgeb...contentkey=774

Furniture-grade PVC is UV-resistant, and it looks nicer. However, I don't think sheets are available.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                    ............. But isn't PVC the stuff that folks say not to make air lines out of because over time and exposure to sunlight it gets brittle? .................
                    The sheets he is talking about are not quite the same as PVC pipe, it is a lower density material, lighter weight and not as strong. Yes, all plastics degrade in the sun but I've made a bunch of things out of those sheets and it will last far longer and is far more waterproof than a tarp.

Steve

Comment

Depending on what color the PVC is, it may not let sunlight in far enough to degrade very fast. He is talking about plastic 0.350" thick, so if the sunlight is blocked or does not go in very far, it will last quite a long time.

The worst thing about plastic in general is that those which have a plasticiser added (to make it flexible) will often become very brittle once that has leached or been baked out of the plastic. Vinyl car seats being an example. Part of the new car smell, and the goo that gets deposited on the inside of the windows, is plasticiser that gets baked out by sunlight.

Not all plastics include a plasticiser, but many do.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 11-08-2019, 03:47 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Edwin: Speaking of the throttle controls and cables freezing up, I would recommend liberal usage of spray silicone. I've been using it for years on my garage door gasket with almost no trouble. It does'nt seem to bother plastics or rubber and ice doesn't seem to stick to it.

Sarge41
                        Last edited by sarge41; 11-08-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Lifetime is one heck of a statement - and is relative, true lifetime as in 75 years --- no I think not,

lifetime for the rest of your life as is? sure - I could see that if your 85 years of age or something... it will probably outlast a tarp - if the wind don't catch it and smash it all to crap while it blows down the road... lol

Comment

Why not use plexiglass or one of the other plastics that are sold for windows? They are made for outdoor exposure, including UV. And, BONUS, you can see if anything has taken up residence inside the cover/box with just a quick glance. I don't know how the price would compare.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              Why not use plexiglass or one of the other plastics that are sold for windows? They are made for outdoor exposure, including UV. And, BONUS, you can see if anything has taken up residence inside the cover/box with just a quick glance. I don't know how the price would compare.
                              How about used billboard vinyl? UV resistant, cheap, easy to handle. Had a problem with mice going after the wiring in my little trailer that I covered with a camo tarp. Scattered a couple blocks of that green mouse poison, never had another problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X