No announcement yet.

I bet you get a chuckle outta this ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When posting something, especially a link to a third party video, please provide a descriptive subject rather than a "clickbait" subject. Clickbait headlines are intended to generate clicks and ad revenue, and they are all too common.

"Video of CNC crashes" would have described it perfectly, and then people can decide whether it is worth a click.

Comment

I wonder where they get the money to keep replacing all those crunched Tasters? A $12 edge finder works just as well. The sad truth is, if you're running a CNC machine of any kind, you will eventually crash something from having the wrong code in the computer, the wrong tool in the spindle, etc. They crashed a lot of things due to poor machining practices, as already mentioned.

Comment

That video is cringe worthy. I've never liked watching crash videos. Especially lathe ones.

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        I would never trust those hold downs that grab about 1/8" of the bottom edge of a part. As you can see they don't hold well. This is why I like manual machines.

JL..............
        I made a bunch of "talon grip" copies a couple years ago and they only hold 0.06" of material. I was skeptical at first too, but they've amazed me time and time again how great they actually hold. Never had a block come loose yet. They're not a one size fits all work holding solution for everything, but for holding aluminum blocks for 2 op machining operations they're unbeatable. I use them in conjunction with vise soft jaws.

Comment

I wonder what the motivation for posting such a horror show is? Is it just the views count?

I can't imagine it impresses prospective customers too much.

Comment

Not a chuckle here - just a bunch of OHHHHWWW's It does make me feel a little better, I just put a couple dummy marks in my little 5" 3 jaw chuck I had attached to the rotary table, in a big hurry building a bike tool and should have lifted the quill to move RT to it's new position - but it cleared the jaws where they were left before? errrhhhhhh, peeled back the bark a little - then about 5 minutes later attacked another jaw lol that's it! the quill went up every time after that. oh well - first time(s) iv butchered up my stuff as long as the mills table remains flawless - that would get to me for sure....

Comment

I cracked my DTI on my CNC, something I thought only an idiot does coming from a manual machine. John however is DIRECTLY responsible for a wave of people holding work down with nothing more than tape and superglue.

Comment

Pretty sure I’ve accomplished all of those things.

Comment

Huh. Sure like the term WTF. What I dont understand is why is there so many vidieo clips? I dont ever video while running the machines. Seems like they video everything. Kinda odd. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                    I re-watched the video and like all the rest on Youtube it comes down to three things-poor work holding, poor tool selection and unrealistic feeds and speeds. As one example, running a four flute end mill in Aluminum is asking for it

Oh and "adaptive tool path" is a phrase that means snapped endmill or launched part, sometimes both
                    Running a 4 flute endmill in Aluminum is asking for What ? TELL me , because I have not found out after 30 years,,yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                      I would never trust those hold downs that grab about 1/8" of the bottom edge of a part. As you can see they don't hold well. This is why I like manual machines.

JL..............
                      The talon grips I use grip the bottom 0.050.... never had one let loose, but I try to have at least three on each side.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post

Running a 4 flute endmill in Aluminum is asking for What ? TELL me , because I have not found out after 30 years,,yet ?
                        Usually packed flutes, when milling goes to friction stir welding.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Usually packed flutes, when milling goes to friction stir welding.
                          Huh. Yup, packing the flutes and no longer cutting.

My secret recipe for sticky metal?? Dove bare soap. JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
                            That video just convinces me to stick to conventional machining, and make sure the workpiece is securely held.
                            Yep. Same here.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I definitely got a good chuckle out of some of the b-roll content at the end and all the crashes made me appreciate my manual machines. I've been flirting with the idea of getting into CNC machining and maybe I will, but that video just goes to show that it's not quite as simple as some youtube videos might suggest. There are just as many places to mess up as there is with manual machining!

Comment

If you can't mill aluminium or are having difficulty, with a 4 or 6 flute endmill.. you need to study up on lubrication, feeds and speeds. Etc.
                                what I use to prevent endmills clogging with aluminum is very simple, machine oil..aka spindle oil... a smear or bit of that on the work makes all the difference. That and places like International tools make multiflute endmills that work better on Aluminum billet .

if you are machining cast or annealed Aluminum, yes it gets more difficult. .

Comment

Working...
                                X