CDN Newsstand Buyers of HSM, MW & DM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDN Newsstand Buyers of HSM, MW & DM

CDN forum members who purchase Home Shop Machinist, Machinist Workshop and / or Digital Machinist: where do you usually buy and what is the most recent issue you have seen on the shelves?

I have not been participating on the forum regularly. If the subject of newsstand availability of VP titles has already debuted here, please say so.

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
    CDN forum members who purchase Home Shop Machinist, Machinist Workshop and / or Digital Machinist: where do you usually buy and what is the most recent issue you have seen on the shelves?

I have not been participating on the forum regularly. If the subject of newsstand availability of VP titles has already debuted here, please say so.
    Solly Eddy current, AKA skin effect.

I was fortunate enough to see the early 1982 magazines. IMO, always been a good book store, JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Solly Eddy current, AKA skin effect.

I was fortunate enough to see the early 1982 magazines. IMO, always been a good book store, JR
      I'm not sure I understand, JRouche.

To CDN subscribers and others who don't purchase issues of HSM, MW, DM from retail sellers, but whom have noticed these titles in the past on retail shelves where they buy other publications, have you noticed current issues lately?

Comment

I used to buy them at chapters, but admittedly haven't bought one (or any paper print magazine) in years. The last one being Inside motorcycles when my subscription ran out a couple years ago. I used to spend probably $100/month on various magazines from woodworking, machining, to UK bike mags, model trains and one of my favorites, Racecar engineering. Do you have a chapters nearby you can check?

We used to have a small convenience store in town that would bring in all kinds of mags, but the new owners stopped that and filled the store with import plastic garbage..... We used to ride our bikes down there when I was a kid and buy a buck or two worth of candy and sit and read a few mags for a while before putting them back on the shelf. The owner or cashier would chat with us talking about sports and how our ball team was doing, if the salmon were running yet, or how many trout we caught lately. Maybe you've got a store like that around still that will bring in something on request?

Comment

Ah, a kindred spirit ?

I too purchased Racecar Engineering and its younger companion, Race Engine Technology when the latter appeared on the shelves. Not to mention several other race-oriented automotive titles like Racer, Motorsport, Autosport and Grassroots Motorsports & ect. While I continue to cherry-pick issues of Motorsport, editorial changes over recent years at most of the other publications caused me to lose interest in them.

Since you mention motorcycles and seem to be saying that you no longer frequent magazine stores, if you are not familiar with the following current titles, it might be worth your while to drop into a newsstand to browse one or more of these UK pubs: 'Practical Sport Bikes', 'Classic Motorcycle Mechanics', 'Classic Bike', 'The Classic Motorcycle' and 'Bike'. I buy the first two regularly enough that I should have subscribed a while ago. A fair number of the others often find their way into my den each month.

Back to metal working.

I maintained multi-year subscriptions to HSM & MW (DM for a time, too) up to when the last of these expired in about 2016.

Then I chose to return to hit'n'miss retail purchases. I also purchase Model Engineers' Workshop.

With rare exception, ALL of my magazine acquisitions were purchased at the Chapters/Indigo big box book stores (Canada's Barnes & Noble).

My most recent issues of HSM & MW are
          HSM Vol 38.03 (May/June 2019)
          MW Vol 32.02 (April/May 2019)

I have not noticed newer issues of either on the shelves since.

The magazine section at Chapters/Indigo is serviced for the chain by Disticor
          "Disticor Magazine Distribution Services is an international
          distributor of Canadian, American, British, French, Italian,
          German, and Australian mass market and special interest
          newsstand publications."

Following a recent inquiry to Disticor to ask why I have not seen copies of HSM & MW on the shelves at Chapters for months, a Disticor representative replied to tell me that Disticor will no longer be distributing either title to their retail customer outlets like Chapters/Indigo.

Comment

Ahh. I think I found the problem ...

My take-away here is that Canadian forum members do not buy or even notice HSM, MW or DM at the newsstand.

If this is the case, then no wonder the largest, perhaps only Canadian distributor of HSM, MW & DM has elected to drop these titles from its supply channels.

More shelf space for additional titles catering to wood butchers.

Comment

I use to pick up at Chapters or Indigo before superscribing.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, Disticor maintains the magazine stands for Chapters & Indigo.

If you happen to be in outlets of either of these chains, take a look and report back. I believe that while you'll still see the current edition of Model Engineers' Workshop from the UK, copies of HSM, MW and DW will be AWOL.

Comment

I too have experienced the Indigo/Chapters (Ottawa, ON) drought going back to the spring. Before these magazines, it was the British Model Engineer (ME) / Model Engineers' Workshop (MEW). Solved that neatly with a digital-only subscription.
                  Re HSM/MW: most of the store staff knew nothing since the supplier did all the placement of magazines on the store racks. Mr. Bulliss made me an offer I could not refuse. A subscription to both magazines (HSM & MW) was the best investment I ever made!

Comment

Not just Canada. I used to get HSM at Tractor Supply in the US. About 8 months ago, they reorganized the store and HSM is no longer stocked for sale. Just an FYI.
                    S E Michigan

Comment

Thank you for the follow up, Dunc.

I thought interest in this topic about the suspension of nation-wide CDN distribution of our host's metal working publications would be a bit more lively than it has been. Either with people coming forward to tell me that I am mistaken because they continue to see HSM, MW & DM on their local newsstands, or rising up in indignation.

Instead (with exceptions), for ten days there has mostly been just the sound of crickets.

Is this apathy, complacency, indifference? Is it "I've got my subscription, why should I care whether the distributor has decided not to represent VP's magazines in Canada."

How did the subscribers here first discover Home Shop Machinist ?

In this modern connected digital world maybe the way people discover magazines of interest today has changed from the way people like me discovered such magazines in the old unconnected analog days Perhaps cookies from machining sites visited on line will lead to pop-up ads promoting the magazines. Possibly Facebook campaigns, Twitter hashtags, shared Instagram images of covers will draw attention. Maybe people are more inclined to commit to a year long subscription sight-unseen, or I suppose that free trial issues might be offered by the publisher or its intermediary as a substitute for the old way where we stood at the newsstand and browsed through titles that caught our attention, buying the ones with content we valued.

If so, great. VP can look forward to continued vibrancy and growth of its readership. Provided that HSM, MW & DM remain topical and relevant, new readers will discover the magazines and come on board to replace and swell the ranks as people like me and the usual suspects currently active on this forum march toward infirmity and the hereafter.

If not, uh oh ...

Circulation used to be the life-blood of every publication. Has this changed ?

Speaking for myself, the magazines themselves have been GREAT. Mr Bulliss and his team have been continually raising the bar during his time as editor.

So why has the distributor, Disticor (which has a substantial monopoly over distribution to key markets in North America) decided to stop displaying the magazines on its newsstands??
                      Last edited by EddyCurr; 11-18-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

OaklandGB. I'd heard that the magazines had disappeared from outlets in the US as well.

Do you know or could you find out what company maintains the shelves for Tractor Supply ?

Comment

EddyCurr, you raise some interesting points.

This made me start trying to recall how/why/when I came to subscribe to any of the magazines. Looking at my shelves, I see my first issue of HSM was Sep/Oct 1996, and PIM (now Metalworking) was Aug 97. But I can't even begin to recall how I learned of their existence. My first interest in machining would have begun only a year or so before then.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Well I went to Indigo/Chapters near my place in Toronto and the clerk said they had stopped a large selection of magazines and they are correct. No wood working, train,RC etc on the rack only one boat mag. Said everyone gets them digitally now, maybe time for HSM to join this trend! Have some digital subscriptions, but the feel of a paper publication still is something I enjoy.

Comment

My local Barnes & Noble (Seattle) doesn't have the mags on their shelves as of a few weeks ago. They do seem to have quite a number of woodworking mags to fill the space though.

Comment

Working...
                              X