No announcement yet.

CDN Newsstand Buyers of HSM, MW & DM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eddy it's easier to just get a subscription instead of trying to chase down mags every month.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyTK View Post
      ... everyone gets them digitally now, maybe time for HSM to join this trend!
      Mmmm, Digital.

Where you never really possess what you pay for and it only continues to be available to you at the pleasure of others.

Good luck in 2039 with looking back at your 2019 issue ...

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      Eddy it's easier to just get a subscription instead of trying to chase down mags every month.
      Firstly. Please refer back to p #11. (Coles Notes: continued availability at the newsstand is important for building / maintaining readership IMO.)

Secondly. Browsing newsstands is an ENJOYABLE pastime for me.

While I have absolutely ZERO interest in the proliferation of titles looking back at dead celebrities such as Elvis, Princess Diana, Prince, Robin Williams, ad nauseum, I take more than a little pleasure from publications on various meaningful topics ranging from economics to vehicles, computers to musical instruments, jewelry to fitness.

There are a number of titles I purchase automatically. I know when to expect new issues to be set out on the shelves each month. I arrange my schedule to include free time to drop into one of the outlets that carry my must-have titles accordingly.

As someone with more than a narrow scope of interests, I look around the shelves. I scan the covers of many, glance inside several and buy more than a few magazines outside of my regular titles on each visit.

Time well spent.

To me, cutting distribution of successful magazines for which there is ongoing demand amounts to a form of something undesirable.

However. I can see from the response to this thread that the disappearance of HSM, MW & DM from newsstands for reasons other than their popularity, quality and relevance hardly raises a ripple amongst forum members.

Comment

Just subscribe and it comes to your door. Amazing what they can do these days

Comment

Ohio Mike, your knife needs sharpening ...

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post

Mmmm, Digital.

Where you never really possess what you pay for and it only continues to be available to you at the pleasure of others.

Good luck in 2039 with looking back at your 2019 issue ...
            You download it onto your "puter and look at it all you want, It doesn't turn to dust over time either. Just back it up on some other medium. A large will also work in a pinch.

You may not like digital, I don't BUT I have accepted that it is the future, paper books are going to disappear except for a few "special" and very expensive ones. Ones we can't afford.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

For digital stuff "it depends". If it has drm, you can pretty much count on whatever mechanism it depends on to go away over time, as it costs money for that infrastructure, and you aren't paying them anything for it. Or they just decide they don't want to support it anymore. For example, Walmart used to sell music using Microsoft's ironically named "PlaysForSure" drm, and then switched to selling DRM-free music, and wanted to turn off their DRM servers, which would then prevent all their customers from listening to their purchases. Their customers had to burn their music to an audio CD, then reimport into their computer to get a DRM-free, but lower quality version of their music...or lose access to their "purchase". And then promptly repeated the debacle with movies, except Walmart was forced to refund EVERY customer, because no movie studio would allow a drm-free version, and walmart wouldn't pay someone else to give them another movie with different drm...

And you know a drm named "PlaysForSure" is extra good when it's maker made a completely different drm system for it's own music store...

Comment

Working...
              X