jewlers question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jewlers question

My class ring is to small and it is made of sterling silver. How do I make it bigger since the company will not resize it for free anymore. Will silver solder work?

If I'm not mistaken a jeweler uses a tappered steel mandrel and a hard leather mallet to expand rings.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Quite correct it should not be necessery to seperate the ring to add more silver to expand it. Might have to heat it though is it enameled a jeweler should not charge to much to do this. Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

You can get good results with this tool
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38571
        I have it and have used it only once. An improvement to it would be to have it expand with a screw pulling it together rather than hammering on it. It's kind of like an expanding collet.

Comment

Be careful if you have any stones in the ring sizing it incorectly may crack them or make them come loose. Stretching the ring on a mandrel will only work if it does not have a large increase in size. (more tham 1 size)
          A good jeweler should not charge an arm and a leg to size a silver ring, you might check in your local area.

[This message has been edited by ytsudwas (edited 01-17-2003).]

Comment

I have checked with local jewlers and they won't touch it since I did not buy it from them. It is only a $70 ring so I could just about order another one rather than pay to much to resize it. But then it wouldn't have the same sentimental value. So I want to know how to do it myself.Not to fond of beating the heck out of it are you sure that silver soldering won't work?

Comment

it won't take as much beating as you think!
              Rob

Comment

Silver solder usually has some things like cadnium in its composition that you might not want in direct skin contact for long periods you might be able to find a silver alloy that doesn't contain cadnium though.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What you have to be very careful of is using any solder even silver solder if it has a higher melting point than the ring itself or your in big trouble.Try another jeweler this guy is not being very friendly any good jeweler should take on other peoples work.Also soldeing it will not guarantee even if it solders sucessfully a joint that is not noticable as the colour may be out.I have done a fair bit of soldering mostly in gold and some in silver in Dentistry and these things are very important.best wishes Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

David,
                    I'm not trying to imply that you don't know what your doing here but, are you certain this ring is sterling? Some class rings are made of a special alloy that jewelers can not repair and the only thing you can do is send it to the manufacturer. The man. then remakes the ring in the correct size. If it is sterling it should be marked on the inside of the shank.

Comment

No it doesn't say sterling silver on the inside. It has my initials and StudioLM2 Studio is the company that made it. The tag that came with it says Lazon. Is this a type of alloy? I have heard people talk about white gold but it has a silver color. I have made some rings out of stainless steel. and those I always get to fit. (of course) I would like to make a replica of my grandfathers WWI army ring witch I think is made of aluminum. Since the ring is no longer availabe to me I just know the size of it and what the top looks like. I have looked on the internet for a picture. But I have not found one just like it.Does anyone know of a good site that might have it?

Comment

Working...
                      X